Indestructible?

We bought a used 1996 Explorer XLT a little over a year ago for our daughter after the birth of our first grandchild, to put her in a safer and more reliable vehicle. At the time, it had 188,000 (one family - original owners) miles. Since then, there have been very minor problems, and the regular maintenance as expenses.

Then, in the last two weeks, while commuting on or near I-75 in Atlanta rush hour traffic, she was rear-ended TWICE. Both times she was stopped, and the grandson was not in the vehicle. The first one slightly bent the rear bumper, and totalled the other car due to front end-radiator damage. The second time the bumber was bent a little more, no other damage.

Say what you want about the Explorer, but to us, this is one great vehicle and you be be sure that it will be with her until it completely dies.

Stay safe out there!

John

Reply to
John Ahnen

I have 3 of 'em ;-)

And my '78 F350 would probably fare well if rear-ended by a freight train.

Reply to
Ulysses

My 94 was rear ended by a new Mercedes wagon. Final score: Explorer 1, Mercedes 0. The plastic on my bumper had a gouge in it and a little paint was scratched off the bumper. The wagon had to be towed away with an entire front quarter destroyed and steam pouring out. Why oh why did they change that bumper? I called it my "battering ram". The new plastic bumpers die if you look at them funny.

Reply to
S.P.