liftgate lock actuator

I have a puzzling problem. Power locks on my 95 XLT seem to work fine. However, the rear lock mechanism is VERY loose. So much so that even the slight vibration produced from in town driving causes the rear door lock to fall downward into the locked position. I can pull the lock (the black rounded piece which protrudes up from the liftgate door panel next to the window latch mechanism)up and down in and out of the locked position with virtually NO resistance. This lack of resistance causes the door to lock itself when the liftgate window is shut from the open position, or any time there is the slightest vibration in the passenger cabin. I even have troubles unlocking the liftgate from the outside. If the door is locked and I insert the key into the liftgate lock and turn it to the right (I think) to unlock the door, the door unlocks as it should. However, when I turn the key back to the center, or neutral position to remove the key, the lock mechanism falls back into the locked position. To open the liftgate from the outside, I have to insert the key, turn it to the right to unlock, leave the key in the lock and turned the right while simultaneously twisting the handle to open the liftgate. WIth the gate open, I can then return the key back to center and remove it. It is a real pain in the @#$.

I removed the interior liftgage door panel and the only thing I can tell that would provide resistance under normal circumstances is the lock actuator, so I plan to replace it. Does that sound like a reasonable conclusion? The dealer wants $125 for the part, but I found it on an internet Ford Parts retailer for $55. They won't take returns on electrical parts, so if I buy the part and that doesn't fix the problem, then I am out $50 bucks. I would like to be as certain as possible that this is the cause of my problem.

Any thoughts from the group?

Brad Hatchett

Reply to
Brad Hatchett

Thanks for the advice Jim. I took apart the door panel on my wifes 94 explorer and compared the two. Turns out there is a small spring that provides the resistance on the lock mechanism. The spring on my 95 has either broken or popped loose and disappeared. I suppose I will have to buy the whole latch mechanism just to get the spring.

Reply to
Amy E. Hatchett

You are, unfortunately, correct. Most of Fords (or any other car manufacturers) parts are subcontracted. As a result, most parts are sold as assemblies. While it is more expensive this way, it is decidedly more convenient and also addresses the issue of wear in other parts of the subassembly.

In most cases, you are much further ahead to pay me one hour to install a new assembly than to pay me two hours to coax more life out of the old one.

Jim Warman

You can check at a hardware store for a spring that might fit.. worth a few minutes of research.

Reply to
rakster