Load Leveling

When I hitch up my boat to my '99 Explorer the rear end drops 1-1/2" under the load of the 320# tongue weight. Is that enough to worry about and, if so, what options do I have for load leveling? Are there after market kits to fit the '99 Explorer? Looking for "been there - done that" words of wisdom. Thanks!

Reply to
Don Backous
1-1/2 inches is nothing to worry about, i've lowered my 2000 explorer sport about 1-1/2 inches with stock suspension and still towed 2000lb of square hay bales behind it on a single axle trailer. if you absolutely insist on load leveling, you can buy aftermarket shocks and or struts to help. also, if you bought your explorer from the dealer, you could have gotten it with a towing package (upgraded suspension in the back and upgraded drivetrain supposedly). so maybe check there for specific fit parts. my mother's 98 explorer has firmer aftermarket suspension in the back, and it has no problem carrying heavy tongue weights on the bumper hitch either. just one word of caution, ford explorer rear bumpers are notorious for getting knocked off center, or bent down very easily so be careful with your towing habits if you are using the bumper hitch.
Reply to
almfreak

I ran air shocks for years when I was towing a pop-up camper (not with an Explorer). I had a valve under the bumper and pumped them up at a service station. They do nothing for load capacity but they do level the vehicle. 320 pounds sound pretty high for tongue weight - what weight trailer are you towing? Rule of thumb is hitch weight should be around 10% of trailer weight.

Reply to
Big Shoe

air shocks can be used with an explorer as far as i know. as far as my trailer though. i was hauling about a ton that day... assuming that each hay bale was 40lb (we had 50 of them). so if you figure that with your 10% rule of thumb, that's at least 200lb on the tongue. also, there should be a load rating on the plastic trim around your bumper hitch. my 2000 Explorer Sport says "350lb maximum tongue weight, 3500lb gross trailer weight". and there should be more specific information on the inside of your driver side door (on the label below the latch). there should also be towing information for your specific model in your manual (pages 181-185). all you have to do is match your drive-train, and engine with these charts and it will tell you the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating - the total weight of the vehicle, passengers, cargo, trailer, and trailer load), as well as the Trailer Weight Range my explorer is a...

4x2 automatic transmission (page 183) 4.0L SOHC Engine 3.73 rear axle gears

so....the manual says that....

my GCWR is 10,000 pounds and my Trailer Weight Range is from 0 to

5,940 pounds that means that the total load of my explorer and trailer together should not exceed 10,000 pounds and that i can tow a trailer that weighs up to 5,940 pounds (assuming the explorer, passengers, and cargo do not weigh more than 4,060 pounds, as this would exceed the GCWR of 10,000 pounds, when combined with a 5,940 pound trailer)

as far as tongue weight goes, the recommended tongue weight for the bumper, is printed right around your trailer ball, and as i said earlier, the maximum recommended is 350 pounds so you should be in no danger by towing 320 pounds.

Reply to
almfreak

Thank you for the replies. I have purchased a new ball mount that gives me 3" lift and the trailer is now nicely leveled. I have had the trailer out four times so far and everything seems fine. Don

Reply to
Don Backous