F350 leveling question

I have a 2001 F350 diesel and looking into the idea of leveling out the front end, back is about 2inches higher than the front. I have seen some leveling kits and wanted to get advice about what kit to use and the pros and cons of doing this. Living in a place that this winter having the front end up will give me more clearance over snow. The other question is about tires, do they make a E rated tire in 285

75R15? I have been asking and hard to find that tire, any suggestions? thanks Chris
Reply to
epicday

I have a 2001 F350 diesel and looking into the idea of leveling out the front end, back is about 2inches higher than the front. I have seen some leveling kits and wanted to get advice about what kit to use and the pros and cons of doing this. Living in a place that this winter having the front end up will give me more clearance over snow. The other question is about tires, do they make a E rated tire in 285

75R15? I have been asking and hard to find that tire, any suggestions? thanks Chris
Reply to
epicday

Chris: you sure about those fifteen inch wheels? You should have 16 inch wheels on that pickup. If you don't, I've got four, with E-rated Michelin M+S tires, for sale, in CA.

-- frosty

Reply to
frostalicious

Reply to
epicday
4X4 or 4X2? Don't think you have said.

-- frosty

epicday wrote:

Reply to
frostalicious

Reply to
epicday

Try lurking in or posting your question at

there are a lot of 4X4-ers. Mine is 4X2,so I don't pay much attention to the 4X4 threads,but I have seen some approach 'leveling' bylowering the rear, not raising the front.

-- frosty

epicday wrote:

Reply to
frostalicious

Reply to
epicday

Please don't forget to post the ideas here too, ok?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Reply to
epicday

I did something really weird, not the only occurance. :/

I put 322 pounds of lead and hardware in my rear bumper.

That took 120 pounds of weight -off the front tires/suspension and -added 442 pounds of weight to the rear tires/suspension.

I did it for dirt road and jeep trail use and barily effects my load capacity since I hardly ever carry anything in it anymore.

The effects of the added weight are amazingly beneficial in several areas and many weren't expected. My favorite is the much improved handling on high speed curves. I'll post a complete list sometime if anyone wants it.

The hardware consists of 5/8" black "shaker screen bolts" (grade 5 carriage bolts) and 3/4" iron pipe, also 5/8" and 3/4" grade 8 washers and 5/8" flanged lock nuts.

The carefully cut pipe and off-the-shelf washers were held in place, inside the molds before the lead was poured around them, they are part of the wights now. I thought about putting handles on them too but decided against it.

I've been wanting to do that for over 15 years and finally got around to it... man do I like the results! :)

Alvin in AZ (I'm weird as anything)

ps- No, I don't have lights and running boards or anything like that junk on my pickup... it's as plain looking as it can be with the original Wimbledon white paint and no trim or even radio antenna

pps- I'm weird, not kooky ;)

Reply to
alvinj

Reply to
epicday

I guess I could take some pictures but what I have that's more intersting to me tho is the math... ;)

I call it the "effect ratio" (got a better name?)

133" wheel base, 2" thick plate of lead the center of which is 48+1/4" from the rear axle. So, 2.69 pounds of lead there takes 1 pound off the from axle and adds 3.69 pounds of effective weight to the rear axle. (I use a slide rule for proportions;) Two 95 pound hunks 2" thick takes 72 pounds off the front.

Two 4" thick hunks at 66 pounds each with an "effect ratio" of

2.74 to 1 takes 48 pounds off the front.

The coolest part of all this is how the pickup was designed to have a load on it in the first place, so this works with the design, not against it. All I know for sure is, I really like it! :)

Before I would try to keep my rear (main) gas tank full all the time to aid in ride and handling. Didn't work so good. :/

Yep, the extra weight is up high.

Like a body lift, as opposed to a suspension change I hope. :)

With relativly new 235/85-16's there is a 1+1/4" space between the top center of tire and the front fender, when veiwed from the side. The back is 3".

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Where are you in West Virginia?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
epicday

I used to live in Parkersburg, the guys in Parkersburg at the Monro Muffler can do that lift for you, and they are absolutely the best. Email me and I'll give you more details if you're interested.

Spdloader snipped-for-privacy@triad.rr.com

Reply to
Spdloader

Pardon the question fellas, but why would you want to level it anyway? I bought a 3/4 ton pickup because I need to haul and tow, if you plan on hauling or towing anything than this leveling deal is a bad idea. Your truck will look beautiful unloaded, no doubt...but put just a little bit of weight in it and it hunkers down below level in the rear which is a VERY embarrassing position for any self respecting pickup. I guess my question is this, if you plan on hauling why would you want your pickup level before loading? Also, if you don't plan on hauling why did you buy a pickup in the first place???

-BunnMan

No flame...just curious

Reply to
BunnMan

Mine doesn't. I haul a small bobcat on a "tag trailer" about 13 thousand lbs, and a larger loader or tractor with a fifth wheel trailer around 21 thousand, the loads are pretty high, but the truck doesn't squat below level.

Have a great holiday,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
epicday

I appreciate your explanation. It makes sense that you would have to add the airbags or something to maintain level with a load. I drive a 2000 F-250 4x4 7.3PSD super cab. Mine sits low in the front stock as you are familiar. When I tow a '93 Wilderness 25' TT it takes the truck down to level in the rear before I jack up the anti-sway bars, then it goes back to the stock high in the rear appearance. When I haul, it does drop a bit in the back depending upon the load. When there is suspension concerned, this has to happen. It is impossible for the truck to sit level, then take on a load and not drop below level unless there is some supplemental support like air bags, anti-sway bars, or NO suspension.

Thanks,

Reply to
BunnMan