loud whaling/whining noise at startup

Howdy,

I have a 1995 Explorer XLT v6. Yesterday the temperature dropped into the low 60's (it's been above 85 until yesterday) and after work, when I started my Explorer, I heard a loud (and I mean LOUD) whaling noise coming from under the hood. I've not noticed this before. The noise goes away after about a minute or two. While it's whaling away, turning on/off the AC / vents doesn't affect the noise.

So, this morning, again it's a lot colder than it's been, I start the car and there's the noise again. After a minute or two it goes away.

So, I'm thinking the cold temps have some part in this, but does anyone have any idea what could be causing the noise / what I should do to remedy it?

I've looked at the belt and I don't see any cracks in it.

Thanks,

mike

Reply to
Mike

I'm having the same problem on a 96 V8.. Problem is, it always goes away before I have a chance to troubleshoot it :)

I caught it the other day a bit though, and I *think* it's the idler pulley bearing..

More news to come though :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Chief Wiggum, you were correct about the idler pulley. That's what was making the sound. Good catch :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Glad to hear you fixed your problem!