Manual transmission back lash

This is on a 2000 V6 3.0 Ranger - a little off topic, but I figure I have been around this group for enough years to beg some forgiveness.

:o)

I just bought this for my boy - 2 wheel drive, about 61,000 miles.

Releasing gas pedal produces a real thunk from below - sounds like backlash (or whatever y'all call it). Lying underneath I am able to rock the drive shaft maybe 10 degrees either way.

What is most likely cause of this? Rear diff or gear box problem? All couplings look good. Can he 'live with it' or is it indicator of imminent problem?

Many thanks

David Raleigh

Reply to
No Email Address

:o)

I just bought this for my boy - 2 wheel drive, about 61,000 miles.

Releasing gas pedal produces a real thunk from below - sounds like backlash (or whatever y'all call it). Lying underneath I am able to rock the drive shaft maybe 10 degrees either way.

What is most likely cause of this? Rear diff or gear box problem? All couplings look good. Can he 'live with it' or is it indicator of imminent problem?

Many thanks

David Raleigh

Reply to
Chaz

Nope, no universal joint.......

Can see spindles rotating in both gearbox and diff.

Keep the ideas flowing though and thanks.

David Raleigh

:o)

I just bought this for my boy - 2 wheel drive, about 61,000 miles.

Releasing gas pedal produces a real thunk from below - sounds like backlash (or whatever y'all call it). Lying underneath I am able to rock the drive shaft maybe 10 degrees either way.

What is most likely cause of this? Rear diff or gear box problem? All couplings look good. Can he 'live with it' or is it indicator of imminent problem?

Many thanks

David Raleigh

Reply to
No Email Address

There is a tsb or ssm out that tells you to putt some kind a grease on the slip yoke because its binding.

try to google it

:o)

I just bought this for my boy - 2 wheel drive, about 61,000 miles.

Releasing gas pedal produces a real thunk from below - sounds like backlash (or whatever y'all call it). Lying underneath I am able to rock the drive shaft maybe 10 degrees either way.

What is most likely cause of this? Rear diff or gear box problem? All couplings look good. Can he 'live with it' or is it indicator of imminent problem?

Many thanks

David Raleigh

Reply to
johanb

:o)

I just bought this for my boy - 2 wheel drive, about 61,000 miles.

Releasing gas pedal produces a real thunk from below - sounds like backlash (or whatever y'all call it). Lying underneath I am able to rock the drive shaft maybe 10 degrees either way.

What is most likely cause of this? Rear diff or gear box problem? All couplings look good. Can he 'live with it' or is it indicator of imminent problem?

Many thanks

David Raleigh

Reply to
Gerald Riggs