Problems with 02 Ranger

Just over a year ago, I purchased a new 02 Ranger 4x4 xlt supercab, manual tranny.

Although I like the truck, I've been having a few problems and would like some advice.

The first deals with tires. I bought the truck last July and had snow tires installed at a local tire shop in late December. The Wrangler RT/S tires were reinstalled in late April by a tire shop and I had an alignment done at that time. The truck goes in for regular service every 5000 KMS and the tires are rotated every 10,000 KMS as per the maintenance schedule. I estimate the Wranglers have about 20-22,000 KMS.

Since the tires were rotated a few weeks ago at 30,000KM, I've noticed excessive road noise from the front. I had the dealer check it out and the mechanic wrote a long note explaining that the tires were scalloped due to improper or lack of rotation. This was at the same dealer that has been doing the servicing (and rotations) from the beginning.

Not only do I not want to buy new tires, I want to find out what is causing the problem. The tires that are now on the front are the ones that have been on the rear since April so I doubt the alignment could be to blame. The dealership says they can do nothing.

I have complained several times of a dragging or rubbing sound from the rear axle, expecially when backing out of a driveway. Could there be something wrong with the limited slip axle that could cause the tires to wear?

I also get frequent clunking noises from the driveshaft and an occasional clunk directly under the passenger floor. The dealership says they don't hear anything even though passengers have.

Another problem is that the engine speed seems to hang up when I press the clutch and let off the gas. For example when excellerating, when I up-shift the RPMs don't always drop down, resulting in a jerk forward when I let the clutch pedal out. This happens even after the truck has warmed up. The dealership replaced a sensor but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Any ideas about what could be causing these problems and how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Glen Nova Scotia

Reply to
Glen Smith

If you have receipts or the dealership keeps track of your service, then accuse them of fraud. The tires weren't rotated according to the guy who wrote you up. You paid for a service that wasn't done and now it is going to cost you money. I suggest your dealership rotate brand new tires onto your truck.

You might want to get on the phone with Ford Customer service and report the dealer.

Do you get it when the vehicle is moving in-gear and you let off the gas, then get back on the gas? Mine does that too.

Maybe you need to get off of the gas pedal sooner before you push in the clutch. When I shift, I ease off the gas and pull it out of gear into neutral, push the clutch in and then up-shift.

If you can't pull it out of gear, then you are still applying power to transmission or you are engine braking.

(Suzuki Z400 page) If you're going to ridicule my post, especially when I post a "newbie" question or comment, please do it publicly and stop privately e-mailing me.

Reply to
C-squared

Glen You may want to have the dealer look into the rear axle especially if it is limited slip and also the transfer case. You didn't mention if it is electric or manual but it sounds like the rear differential may not be slipping on turns or the transfer case is in 4X4 mode where the tire wear will be significant on the pavement. Hard to say but the clunking in the rear is something in the rear axle to consider.

Reply to
fredzo

[...]

We had six different Ford dealership service department advisors, over more than two years, repeatedly deny that they heard the same clunking noises from our 2000 4X4 XLT manual-tranny driveline assembly (although everyone else in the world heard it very clearly).

They lie, because they don't want to fix this problem which has plagued Ranger XLT owners for many years. They stalled us on this problem until the warranty was about to expire (natch). I finally found the TSBs on the well-known problem (frequently discussed here) and demanded a repair. Google the topic here, and on the Web.

They reluctantly replaced the entire steel driveline assembly with a Spicer single-piece aluminum drive shaft. That fixed a variety of problems--including what I thought was a slipping clutch-type jerking when taking off in first gear (it was the original driveline slip-joint/carrier bearing binding-up, then releasing, they later explained). The clunking, plus other driveline-related problems, are now fixed. Numerous other problem remain, however.

TSB 03-04-08 and 03-26-03 address the driveline problem and the required replacement parts. Be warned, however, that they will try many tricks to try to avoid doing the fix. They will claim that the parts are no longer available, that the TSB doesn't apply to *your* truck, that they can't hear the noise, or just outright lie and say that the clunking is "normal". (Just like the chronic *marbling* problem with the 4.0 pushrod engines that came with our truck.)

Replacing the driveshaft with the much larger aluminum model also requires adding a special fuel tank gusset. They did that on our truck, but forgot to re-hook up a fuel tank vacuum hose, so we got a "check engine" light, which requires an engine scan to find the problem, etc. We had to return early from a vacation trip to get THAT fixed because the warranty was a few days from expiring.

This truck has been a constant problem since we bought it new. Ford's Ranger design, quality control, warranty coverage, dealer service, and customer relations policies are abysmal, IMO.

This will be our last Ford product.

Caveat

Reply to
Caveat

I've learned a long time ago to save every receipt. I'm going to phone Ford's customer service and see what they have to say. If I don't like what I hear, specifically fixing the problem (if it is mechanical) and a new set of tires, I'll really start to push the issue.

That is one noise. Sounds like a lot of slack in the drive train but they say it's normal. Another is an occasional thump directly under the passenger floor, usually when I first pull away. They say there is nothing there to thump but I'm going to have a good look at the torsion bar.

At first I thought it was me. Although I've driven a manual tranny for 15+ years, sometimes you have to get used to a new one. Then I started paying more attention and even when I fully press the clutch and take my foot completely off the gas, the revs still hang up there, usually around 2500 RPM. This results in jerky shifts.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Glen Smith

My truck has the electric transfer case. I would have liked a manual but it's only available with the FX4 package.

It does have a limited slip 4.10 rear axle and I've questioned that before. I thought it was locking up more than it should, most noticably when making a tight turn as when I back out of a parking space. Many times, when simply making a turn onto a side street, it seems to be locking up as I hear one wheel spin. They tell me it's working fine. I also hear a rubbing noise from the rear sometimes. The rear brakes were re-done before 10,000 kms with new shoes and machining the drums. I still don't think they are working properly.

Since they problem tires that are now causing me grief on the front were just rotated from the rear, that would make a lot of sense.

Many thanks for your advice.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Smith

My truck has a large diameter(maybe 5") aluminum drive shaft so they may have made a change. I still get lots of clunking though and I have noticed a slight slipping sensation. Barely noticable sometimes but there just the same. It almost feels to me like something is settling into place when I pull away, maybe 2 slight movements.

Before the first 5000 km checkup, I had the truck in and one of my complaints was that the clutch seemed to be out of true. In other words, as I let the clutch pedal out, the clutch would seem to engage unevenly like it was rubbing on one side before fully making contact. Again, they say it is normal.

Thanks for your help. I'll look up the TSB's and search a bit more.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Smith

I'll stick in my 2 cents. Have you looked under the truck to see if it could be loose or missing hardware around the transmission or transfer case? I know that Mustangs had/have a problem with the bolts holding the transmission in were loose. I know that on earlier 01 FX4's with manual transmissions they had a recall on the rear axle housing cracking. Was yours early 01 or later 01. The 4.10 limited slip rear end should be the same. I think that what you'll find on newer Fords with manual transmissions the engine rpms will remain high just a little longer and there was a reason for this that escapes right at the moment. But it happens in Mustangs with manuals I thought it was for downshifting but I could be wrong.

Reply to
pete