Middle or Third brake light

Can someone tell me where I can find a LED middle brake light for a 95 Explorer on the net.

Reply to
Harley D.

an LED middle light ?

I didn't even realize that aftermarket LED units were made for them..

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to convert it ? Cost ?

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

For some pricey $$ you can convert the lamps to LEDs.. I forgot the site, but a google search should give it.

Reply to
rakster

The original light is an LED.

Reply to
Harley D.

I think you my be confused. The original 3rd brake light for a '95-'97 is actually neon gas discharge. '98 & up have LED 3rd brake lights.

Reply to
Xx

No it isn't... it's a high voltage gas tube (like a fluorescent)..

There's a little ballast in the tailgate to run it. (which is usually what quits when they go out).

That's why I thought you might be asking about an LED replacement, it would no doubt be cheaper than the orig parts !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Reply to
Fred

Yes, you are right there is a ballast in the tailgate. Thanks for the tip.

HD

Reply to
Harley D.

Sounds expensive.. I'd be tempted to fabricate parts from a '91 and use lamps. Couldn't be that hard.

Reply to
rakster

Good idea.. I might try that.

Thanks HD

Reply to
Harley D.

The light assembly which includes the plastic trim and lens costs 224.00 at the Ford garage and the power supply/balast which ever it is cost 89.00. The little colored clips that hold in the inside plastic only come in a trim kit which costs 45.00. That is a lot of money for just a brake light. It would be different if the whole system lasted forever. I think I will mount a bobble head with a red light on the top of the rear of the Explorer.

Reply to
royace

Yeah, florescent 3rd brake lights are a serious abortion... Someone should make an LED replacement setup to bypass all that crap - they'd get rich!

What I always find funny about the stupid florescent 3rd tails is the delay. On explorers it can be as bad as half a second - enough time to be a "confusing" signal...

JS

Reply to
Jacob Suter