Misc Problems with 2000 Ford Exp. Sport

Hi,

I am having the following problems with my Explorer:

1) DRL lights no longer work(its been a year or so) 2) 4x4 high or auto does not work, but 4 Low works just fine.(I am not sure when this started a couple of years I would guess) 4H used to work, I used to be able to tell when in Auto it would switch. But I got stuck a couple of times in the last year and the truck would not do anything in 4Auto or high. I had to engage 4 Low and would get out with no problems. 3) Last week - ABS warning light starts comming on. ABS not working on icy roads. However restarting engine causes ABS to work properly, and indicator to go out. Seems to be a problem when I hit a bump on the road. Electrical? 4) Just the last couple of days the auto transmission is not shifting properly. On slow accelleration, shift between 1 and 2 for example spends a lot of time in neutral, then goes into 2. On hard acceleration transmission will not shift gears at all, causing RPM to rise to 4500(I let my foot of the gas before this goes further. )

I am going to book a service appointment. I need to get #4 fixed for sure, 2 and 3 maybe and 1 I can live without. Any ideas what these transmission problems might be?

I generally liked my ford explorer up until the last year(I have had it about 31/2 years). But frankly it does not have an unusual amount of miles or pull a trailer or anything like that. I feel these problems(and a few other minor ones) are too much for its age and condition. I will drive it until I need to buy another vehicle, but I will NOT be a repeat customer. Frankly I think I will try Japanese next time.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Ford

I had a 97 that burned out the electronic clutch pack that contols the front drive shaft. Computer was turning it on but it wasn't grabbing. 4Low must have given you enought torque to pull out. But it the front wheels dont' work in 4high then they aren't gonna pull in 4Low either.

Reply to
JaWise

How would a dealership/garage test the electronic clutch pack to see if it's shot?

I have had a simular problem, but when I took it into the ford dealership (mistake #1) they claimed it was fine.

Reply to
mjm

I had to go back twice. The first time they replaced the speed sensors and told me it was ok. Later that week I was pulling in my parking spot that slanted and there was ice at the bottom of the spot. My rear wheels kept spinning and the front wheels (not on ice) didn't pull. Even when I picked

4High.

I took it back to the dealer. THey ended up rebuilding the transfer case and when they tore it open they found the bad clutch pack.

Took them about a week but they gave me a F150 extended cab for a loaner and the work was free since I paid my Ford ESP deductible for the first visit.

Reply to
JaWise

I have a 97 Limited with 4WD. This winter I noticed that the 4WD wasn't working, even though the vehicle thought that it was. I ended up breaking down and brought it to Ford to see what they thought. They thought it was working fine too until I told them to take it off road, then they noticed that the front wheels didn't spin in the dirt. They found some corroded wires going into the transfer case. I guess those wires were not carrying enough juice to make the clutch pack turn the front wheels so they just wouldn't turn. Ended up costing me $100 I think, but I was happy it wasn't the $1800 they get for a new transfer case.

Hope this helps, Dave Earle

Reply to
David Earle

Did you ever receive the answer to number 4 with the shifting problem? I am having exactly the same problem with my 96 explorer.

Reply to
archiem1

Did you ever find the answer to the problem 4? I have the same problem with my

96 exp. sport.
Reply to
archiem1