Newbie buying question

I'm in the market for an SUV to tow a 3000 lb. trailer. I'll use the vehicle only on weekends, so I won't put over 3,000-5,000 miles a year on it.

I'm looking at used 98-2000 model Explorers. I'd like to spend no more than $9,000. I found a used 2WD XLT model with 115k miles for $7,000 which seemed to be a good deal. Your thoughts?

I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for / what to avoid, etc.

Thanks

Reply to
BOTMLINE 2

Not knowing much about the vehicle you are looking at I would say that sounds a little pricey. I just traded in a '93 with 120K on it for a '01 with 28,000 miles. I paid 15,000 and they gave me a whopping 2500 for a trade in.

Reply to
LCC

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Linus

" I found a used 2WD XLT model with 115k miles for $7,000 " You didn't say what year the above vehicle was. wth

Reply to
wth

Reply to
John Shoemaker