2003 Explorer rear seat rattle

My 2003 Explorer has had a rattle coming from the right rear seat (2nd row) since I bought it. The rattle disappears when someone sits in the seat or when I fold it down. It's not caused by the seatbelt nor the spring-loaded plastic cover on the back of the seat. I can't make it rattle by banging on the seat or nearby panels by hand. But every little bump I hit causes it to rattle. It goes away on hotter days, but always comes back as soon as the temperature dips below 75 or so. I thought it might be coming from the seat latching mechanism, but that's hard to believe because it's such a crisp rattle, not muffled or clunky. Sounds like plastic on plastic, or metal on plastic. If I didn't know better I'd swear it was caused by the seat belt retractor or associated plastic panels - but I know that's not the case.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Reply to
Joe

John Shoemaker