No EGR yet I have an EGR vacuum line

'92 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6-pushrod 4WD.

Now, not all '92 Explorers have EGR valves, correct? If they did it would be marked on the sticker above the radiator, correct? Mine doesn't have an EGR on the sticker and I can't seem to find one anywhere that people say it should be if I had one. I have a mystery vacuum line then. OK, according to my Haynes manual diagram of the vacuum hose fitting and cap assembly, I have a vacuum line coming from what they are calling the 1/4 inch EGR port. It's located next to the air cleaner port. When I follow the vac line from the EGR port it's pathed about 3 feet around the engine to just above the engine oil fill cap. There it ends at a coupling, opened and not plugged, just sitting there without another line in the other end. Where the other end of the vac line that plugs into the coupling is I have no clue. I looked everywhere. Since I apparently have no EGR, where is this vac line supposed to be going? What's the part called and where is it located. Not a huge car guy here so a description going by location to easily recognized parts is appreciated. The guys at Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts have no clue and say they can't look it up by the part number that's on the rubber vac line boot. It turns out this combined with a stuck thermostat may be what a mechanic confused with a blown head gasket. When I replaced a burst upper radiator hose, I probably snagged this vac line by accident. I'll be pissed, yet very glad if this is what all the trouble has been, assuming I can figure out where this vac line connects. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
sw

I sort of recall this situation. It seems like I had the same problem on my

  1. Look at a wiring bundle that is near there.It comes up from below the engine. It is wrapped in black tape. Remove an inch or so of the tape from the top and see if you find the loose end of vac line sticking up with nothing attached. That is where the end of your unconnected line goes. If I recall correctly that line operates a door that controls the air flow to a/c vents.

If none of this makes sense, send me an email and I will try to clarify it with a picture. Can't post pictures to the newsgroup.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Well I looked but I didn't see any connection there. Any wiring harnesses in the area are very well taped and covered in the protective plastic tubing. I don't see a place where a vacuum tube could have come out there. Was your engine a pushrod or the more popular SOHC? The difference between the 2 set-ups is actually pretty big. Unfortunately all of the diagrams I've been able to find are for the SOHC engines and not the pushrods like mine is. I looked up the door you mentioned in my Haynes book but I couldn't find anything on it. I know the concept of it but have no clue what the actual name and location is of it. I appreciate the help though Charlie. I'll e-mail you for a picture to see if I missed something. I'm using google groups so I'll have to guess at the middle of your address. If you don't get an e-mail I guessed wrong.

Does anyone know for sure where in a pushrod set-up this vac line is supposed to end up and where in the engine the part is? If I know the part and location I can find the part and back track(hopefully). Again, no expert here so please describe it as simply as possible. Thanks again.

Reply to
sw

Okay, I confuse easily. Let's establish something. I am sitting here looking at Ford Engine Service Manual for 1992 ( the Helms edition) Look at your VIN. Check the eighth character, that's the engine code.. According to my book there was only one 4.0 engine The eight character is an X. There was a 2.9 with the letter T used on Rangers There was a 3.0 with the letter U used on Rangers and Aerostars.

Whatcha got?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

It's an X but there are def 3 different engines according to my Haynes manual and the diagrams I've been able to find online.. The 4.0L Pushrod V6, the 4.0L SOHC V6, and the 5.0L V8. Maybe they weren't all available in '92 though but the diagrams I'm finding are for the SOHC V6 even though they say '92. Standing at the bumper looking at the engine, my battery is in the front left corner and my coolant/washer reservoirs are in the front right. If yours matches that we should have the same set-up from what I've seen.

Reply to
sw

That's better. Now we are on the same page. I have more faith in the Ford (Helms) manual for 1992 than I do in a Haynes publication that tries to cover too much other stuff. I bought the 92 new and just turned 174,000. The Helms books are pricey, but I always keep a car for a long time and consider how many shop hours I have to avoid to pay for the books. It doesn't take long.

I will try to email you a photo of mine and indicate where the vacuum line is

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately the vac line you're talking about isn't the EGR vac line I'm talking about. The one you're talking about is the CCD line (manual term) and those appear to be fine and easily traced. I'm assuming it stands for climate control door or something. When you look at where all of the vac ports are on the fitting assembly on the intake manifold (looking from the front of the vehicle), the EGR port I'm talking about is below and diagonally to the left of your CCD port. The EGR vac line has a similar path as your CCD vac line only it is a little lower and ends at the coupling just above the oil cap. That's where it is now anyway, maybe it didn't always rest there when it was connected to it's missing end. I'm sending pics to try and help explain.

Reply to
sw