Oil Pressure Alert/Check Engine Light?

Starting a few months ago, every now and then the check engine light would remain on after I started my 2000 Explorer when it was cold. At that time it would happen perhaps once a week, and the light would remain on for perhaps a minute. Car ran, and continues to run fine, at about 140,000 miles. The check engine light now comes on almost every time I start the engine cold, and usually the oil pressure needle remains flat for a minute or so and then jumps to its regular position. Oil level is fine, and I've driven a couple of thousand miles without a problem since the oil pressure needle became slow to get on station.

This never happens the second or later time the same day, only when the car has sat unused overnight.

My mechanic says it is nothing to worry about. I passed the California smog check test a few weeks back.

Any thoughts/comments from the experts here?

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Oil pressure switch. Mine did the same. Replaced the switch which cost about $6.00 from the Auto parts store.

Hope that helps. BTW, it seems to be pretty common problem. Do a Google search on Oil pressure switch and Ford Explorer.

Later,

Lance

Reply to
Lance