96 Concorde check engine light

96 Concorde LXI 3.5 V6 Total mileage 101600, purchased from relative 3000 miles ago. Since that time has had maintenance including tune up (plugs-plug wires-pcv, because I complained about slightly rough idle which has improved).

About 1500 miles ago check engine light comes on, no noticeable problem with performance. Took back to mechanic who did tune up. Says light on because engine computer recorded "cylinder misfire". Clears code, pours a "fuel system cleaner" in fuel tank and says will recheck at no charge if light comes back on. Now light is back on. Car had sat idle-not driven for previous five days. Still no noticeable problem with performance, starts and runs fine, no other issues. Any suggestions on what to check next? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
GrtArtiste

More then likely the intake manifold gasket is blown out and causing a lean misfire and setting the code. Is the misfire code a #3 0r 6 cyl? Also with the car in gear at idle, do you notice a slight lobe or mis?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I will have to ask which cylinder when I take it back and ask the mechanic to check it again. I haven't noticed a slight lobe or mis, but I also don't drive it regularly. Is this intake manifold gasket a difficult/expensive fix?

Reply to
GrtArtiste

Reply to
tim bur

No...the cruise is operating normally. What would be the best course of action? do an exploratory on the intake manifold or wait and see if more serious symptoms appear?

Reply to
GrtArtiste

Use an unlit propane torch, blow propane around the seams of the intake manifold at idle, if idle speed changes (meaning the engine is sucking in propane through the leak instead of air) then you have a leak there.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You may now have a different problem. There are many diagnostic codes.

I've had my '95 Concord since 6k miles, now at 80k miles. The check engine light has been coming on at random times since I got it. The diagnostic code is always "33" related to the air conditioner. Dealer can't fix it, I'm having to ignore it. My engine and air conditioner run perfectly. My problem is obviously intermittent and not serious.

I suggest you check the diagnostic code when your light comes on. To do so, with the engine off turn the ignition key on/off/on/off/on. After a slight delay the engine light should flash the recent check codes, in number pairs. I believe "55" is end of stored codes, I keep the the code list in my car. After a number of starts the codes are deleted. The full maintenance manual gives the codes and their meaning.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Has for me, many times.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The car was back in the shop for an unrelated problem. Check engine light back on, checked codes. New code is P1289 manifold tune valve ckt open-short. when originally checked, code was P0306 which was not present this time? Any thoughts?

GrtArtiste

Reply to
GrtArtiste