OOOPS! Used the wrong oil

I just did the first oil change in my new 2002 V8 XLT. I foolishly assumed (ass-u-me) it used 5W-30, like my 96 did. As soon as I drained out the oil and popped the hood to refill it, I noticed the BIG yellow '5W-20' marked on the fill cap. With no other transportation available to get back to the parts store, I was kind of forced to use the 5W-30. How badly did I screw up? I live in CT where the winter is fairly cold. Should I drain out the Mobil 1 (priced like a real nice dinner out) or maybe replace some of it with 5W-20 or just let it go? Thanks

Reply to
Jonah

I would leave it in there, the thinner oil is only for fuel consumption, a couple a penny's on a full tank

I wont hurt your engine

assumed (ass-u-me) it used 5W-30, like my 96 did.

noticed the BIG yellow '5W-20' marked on the fill

store, I was kind of forced to use the 5W-30. How

Should I drain out the Mobil 1 (priced like a real

Reply to
johanb

assumed (ass-u-me) it used 5W-30, like my 96 did.

noticed the BIG yellow '5W-20' marked on the fill

store, I was kind of forced to use the 5W-30. How

Should I drain out the Mobil 1 (priced like a real

This will not be a problem. In prior years 5W30 would have been the oil specified for your engine (2000 and earlier). Ford changed to the thinner oil to improve mileage. I'd just run the Mobil 1 till your next normal oil change and then use 5W20 (or continue using 5W30 if you prefer). Either oil will work just fine in your engine.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I'll agree with the other posters regarding leaving the oil in there until the next change. Before your next oil change, I will recommend looking in the owners manual for the oil viscosity recommendation chart... you can decide which viscosity range is best for your local conditions.

Modern engine technology has viscosity selection as being more important than it has been in the past. I've seen improper viscosity pump lifters up and holding valves open... rare, but still happening.

That you have selected a synthetic based on PAO stocks is good.... and may even be a choice for continued use. For this oil, one big bragging point is reduced viscosity change in temperature extremes.....

assumed (ass-u-me) it used 5W-30, like my 96 did.

noticed the BIG yellow '5W-20' marked on the fill

store, I was kind of forced to use the 5W-30. How

Should I drain out the Mobil 1 (priced like a real

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Jonah

I use Mobil 1 in my Exploder. Good choice. My question is how does a 2002 go this long and still be new? Has it been driven for 3 years and this is the first oil change?!?! Just curious! ______________________ reply address bot resistant and human safe

Reply to
S.P.

Reply to
Jonah