Wrong Oil?

A year and a half ago I became a BMW owner for the first time purchasing a pre-owned 2000 E39.

My first heart attack nearly came the first time it was due for service and I took it to the local BMW dealership. The cost for an oil change in my opinion was way over inflated.

I since then started taking it to a local mechanic that was recommended to me by a friend who gets his Mercedes serviced there.

It's been a little over a year that I have been taking the car to the local mechanic and overall I am pretty pleased, or at least I was until now.

Two weeks ago I dropped it off after hours to have it serviced the next day. The next morning the mechanic called me and asked me if I wanted synthetic oil. I found this odd, while I don't know much about the mechanics of the car, there is a placard underneath the hood that clearly states the type of oil to be used ONLY. And it does state synthetic oil!

I got the bill and the total for the oil change was $60+ and this to me would explain why the BMW dealer charges $98.00.

I looked back at all the previous bills and noticed the oil changes were $24 and to me that says they DID NOT use the proper oil!!!!

What is the consequences for using the wrong type of oil? The previous invoices did not state what type they used but I am guessing 10W30 or close to it.

Could this have damaged my engine or will I see some long term affects? If so, how do I approach the shop owner about this? They seem to be friendly and honest mechanics but it's clearly evident they don't know much about BMW's.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If the car still sounds fine and is running well, I seriously doubt that any long term damage has been caused. Mike

Reply to
Mike G

as long as you were changing it regularly it is not the end of the world... Mobil 1 synthetic is by far the best and you should go get some in there soon, but it should not have damaged anything. I would definitely advise the garage owner of this, in case you ever do have a problem, but it is more a formality!

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

Unless they're putting the cheapest nastiest thickest oil in there that you'd normally put in a 40 year old Plymouth that blows alot of smoke then I wouldn't worry. Any reasonable oil of a grade close to that recommended should be ok as long as it's changed regularly. The engine will receive far more damage when your kids or friends borrow the car than the wrong oil could ever do.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

purchasing a

service and

It costs over $150 for labour alone in the UK for oil changes! Then add nearly $200 for the oil.... $24 would barely buy you budget oil and an oil filter!

I guess you have no warranty on the car. It'll be fine provided you don't run it hard or in extreme conditions.

Reply to
adder1969

Jeff, Don't sweat it. You didn't say, but my guess is that you change the oil every 5000 to 7500 miles, and not on the schedule that the car calls for by its Service Me Now Light. Even if you followed the Service Me Now instruction, you have done no long term damage to yoru car.

Your car takes 7 quarts (US) of oil. This is 40% more than most cars, they take only 5 quarts (some take as few as 4). The change interval is - to some degree - a function of the volume of oil in the crankcase, and since you carry more oil it is reasonable that you can go further between changes. I suspect you do not take advantage of this ability, and therefore you probably change your oil on a much shorter change interval than is really required - you change the oil more often than is needed. If this is true, then you are safe to use a non-synthetic oil in your car.

I have to wonder about your mechanic though. I can't imagine that the service needs of a BMW and those of a Mercedes are very much different. When I take my car to a mechanic, I use one that actually specializes in BMW. He does Mercedes and Volvo as well, but he doesn't take Fords, Chevys or Hondas. You want your mechanic to know your car really well, not lots of cars "sorta well." I would be opening the Yellow Pages to see if there is an Independent BMW Service Center that is listed, and see if this is a better place to be taking your car. Clearly you can get cheaper service than the dealership provides, but that should be a function of lower overhead, not less trained technicians or substandard attention to service requirements.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On BMW Park Lane?

Reply to
Ottar Holstad

It depends. If the oil changes were by the service indicator, then only the correct oil should be used. If they were 3000 mile oil changes, then any half decent oil should have been ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

changes.

I think you've said this before. Seeing as it's a 6 cylinder engine does the oil 'wear out' 50% faster than a 4 cylinder one??

Reply to
adder1969

The nearest BMW stealer at Crawley/Gatwick charges £110+VAT and hour labour - no idea on the price of oil.

Jason Russell

Reply to
Dotcom Computers

Last time [1] Sytner BMW Leicester serviced my car labour was £105/hour (US$200) and 6.5 litres of oil was £81 (US$153 or $23/quart).

[1] Works which ever way you read it
Reply to
Grant

You're being a smart ass, right?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My dealer here in New Zealand charge NZD$149 (USD$200) for an oil service for any 6 cyclinder BMWs. All inclusive (oil, filter, labour) as well as a complimentary car wash!!

That's closer to US$100.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

Complimentary? You've been reading their adverts again. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't agree! I have been repairing vehicles for many years. I repair and service all top Continental makes and the oil choice is down to the owner. All manufacturers give alternative oil grades, types and viscosities to suit different climates and driving techniques, also as suggested there is the distance between services etc. You try filling a sump full of Mobil 1 for the little old lady going to the shops once a week and charging the going rate! You just lost a customer. The mechanic was right to ask and if the owner doesn't understand about oils we can advise. I consider he was only trying to tailor the servicing to suit the way you use the vehicle. After all who wants overkill and over pricing? Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

oops... my bad.. you are right.

Thanks for that~

Your mail is appropriate atm because I am down to 2 green lights so a service is getting near. I have a 1998 535i V8 and I do a good 1K a month. However my car has done 120K so should I stick to Mobile 1 or just ask the mech to put in oil that is comparable please? pete

Reply to
pete

Since you say you've had the car for 1.5 years and that you've done oil changes plural, I'm guessing you haven't done more than 7500 miles per oil change, which will it I wouldn't make a habit out of it, won't have done any damage. In fact, for the first two years the 540 came from the factory with regular oil (I have one of the first to use Synthetic, which isn't specified in the engine bay so every time I take it anywhere I have to specify that it uses synthetics as opposed to most

98 models that use regular). Those service intervals for this car are very expensive (just wait till you need an Inspection II), but I think you'll find that 99% of the stuff you can do yourself without getting dirty and that will save you a lot of money to just tell the shop specifically what to do.
Reply to
marlinspike

Pete You don't say how you drive or where you are situated(climate etc) These are factors to be taken into account. I am emailing you a chart from the BMW Main Dealer TIS CD Hope you don't find it confusing, it basically shows the requirements for all the temperature ranges and you will be able to see that the fully synthetic covers all of these. Perhaps your mech will find it useful. In UK I usually use semi-synthetic 10/40 for normal use and the fully synthetic for hard drivers gobbling up miles. Hope this is of some use. Regards Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull