Ping Jim - Power seats

This is for a 92 4 door with the 6-way power seats. The driver's seat will not move forward the full excursion. If you go to the rear, it stops as usual with a small thunk at the end of its travel. Going forward it stops slowly after only a few inches. It does not seem to be hitting anything and does not stop abruptly. It just sort of coasts to a stop. It will repeat this on successive tries. I have raised the seat and looked underneath for any obstruction, but there is none to be found. All other functions of the seat are normal. If I keep going back and forth to test what is going on, eventually neither backward nor forward travel works at all. Letting the thing sit for a while, the mechanism comes to life again leading me to believe the drive motor may be protected internally with a thermal cutout as it is probably only designed for intermittent operation and not the constant operation I impose on it by my back and forth trials. Now, it would be easy to say the motor is bad, but this does not explain why the place where it stops is consistent. Might this be a lubrication issue? Have you run into this problem in your experience? I have the Helm service manual and the unhappy news in that is that the track elements are not replaceable and the whole assembly would have to be replaced. A pricey thought at best. As a happy retiree, I am in that position of having more time than money. I have successfully repaired the window drive motors on all four windows and would not be afraid of tackling the drive motor if that was the problem.

So before I start tearing into this task, advice and direction as well as any warnings would be appreciated.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

The 92 shop manual is real short on illustrations and descriptions. I

*think* that this seat moves forward and aft through the use of a flexible cable with a worm screw on the end ( stop me if I'm wrong ). If this is true, I would guess that the flexible cable is coming unwound from it's core and binding in the conduit. I've seen this particular condition with sunroofs and such but I'm just not familiar enough with your arrangement.

If it operates normally for those few inches and the peters out, I would be guessing that it is more mechanism than motor. You could try the auto wreckers to see what they can come up with... they should be able to consult the Hollander manual to seat what other seat bases might fit.

Sorry I can't be more help...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have a 95 Ex and just in the past two weeks I have found the same problem. The seat goes all the way back, but only moves forward a few inches before it just coasts to a stop. I did find the after moving the seat up and down, in some cases I could get it to work.

Reply to
Dave

My 2001 Sport Trac did the same thing. It would go back all the way, but forward only a couple of inches. Yours may not be the same, but on mine there is a plastic rail between the seat and the console and another piece that rides on it to keep the seat belt latch in the right position. These two pieces were binding, preventing the seat from going forward. A light coat of silicone lube eliminated the problem. H

Reply to
Hairy