Pls help non-Ford person locate starter solenoid?

Fordies;

My SIL asked me for help but I'm having trouble finding this on his '04 explorer 4L V6.

Where is the starter solenoid located? I thought Fords were mounted on the wheel well separate from the starter. If not, where? When might this have changed?

Thanks

Reply to
bobmct

The starter solenoid is part of the starter.... The starter relay is in the battery junction box (also called power distribution box) mounted under the hood. If he goes to page 193 in his owner guide, he will see that the relay is marked number 56 in the diagram. Either of these rarely give any trouble.

Note that fuse 12 in the BJB (50 amp) protects the starter solenoid while fuse 29 in the central junction box (under the dash - 10 amp) protects the neutral start switch.

FWIW, this has been Fords way of doing it for a long time, now.

Reply to
Jim Warman