Power Steering Leak on 91 XLT

My power steering on my '91 is leaking but it doesn't look like it's coming from the hoses. My Hayne's manual only tells how to repair hose leaks and vaguely at that. They say they have some kind of quick-connect but don't say how to disconnect them. Anyway, I assume there must be a seal where the steering shaft connects to the steering gear box. Anyone fix this or have instructions/diagram for it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

So, you know if there is a seal there or you don't know?

I appreciate your input but I must not have stated my case very clearly. I'm trying to determine where the leak is coming from. I hate working on cars almost as much as I hate leaks and I sure don't want to fix anything that doesn't need fixing or take a bunch of stuff apart that doesn't need taking apart, especially things as critical as steering gears etc that will need new bolts and all.

BTW I also have a '92 EB and it seems to be leaking in the same place and the leak started at about the same time even though the mileage on the cars has a difference of about 90K miles.

. Anyway, I assume there must be a seal where

Reply to
Ulysses

I think what Jim's trying to say is that if *you* don't know where it's leaking, then *we* don't know either. It's your truck, you have access to it, and we don't. Rather than asking how to replace a seal that may or may not be leaking, you should first determine where the leak is, *then* find out how to fix it. So, first locate the leak, then, if the fix isn't obvious, come back and ask how to fix it, OK?

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Thanx, Bill...... I only wish that some of the "foundlings" would appreciate the complexity of the modern automobile. Most anything I comment on is from memory and, since (as you astutely pointed out) I can't see what they have, I can only suggest steps and/or ask questions. Other than that, I'm still waiting for my consulting fee cheque from the NG .

Like you, I can only suggest that the original poster put some of his/her own effort into this project.

Reply to
Jim Warman

If you are talking about the floppy feeling connections at the pump, there is a Teflon O-ring seal in them. Mine leaks from time to time. I bought a new O-ring but never got around to pulling the thing apart and replacing the old one so it's still got a slight leak. It may be leaking from other places too.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy