TJ Power Steering Fluid Leak

I've got new marks on the ground, just below the steering gear box; and splatter marks on the underside of the hood just above the power steering
fluid reservoir. I see no obvious leak points in this area (but the bottom of the gear box is wet). The fluid level was a little low (not dry). I added some fluid and it seems to steer as always. But, I'm still getting dripping - not exactly sure of the leak point.
It's a stock 2000 TJ with 70k miles. It is driven on the weekends. It was out for a few hours of off-roading last weekend in very hot weather. I noticed no problems at that time. Any ideas on the likely problem - bad pump, seals, gear box problem? How difficult to fix?
Thanks,
Cliff
The new style 2 piece adjustment plug Saganaw uses on the steering shaft end is very prone to seal failure. You can just buy the seal and replace it, but a local steering and suspension shop told me that the best fix was to use the old style single piece plug with a new seal. They had some and gave us one for the last one I helped a friend fix.
You could just have a hose fitting loose also. A good clean and a careful watch should tell you where it's leaking.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
CD wrote:

The symptom where you have splatter on the hood indicates the leak is in the area near the fan, like around the pump. Look at the back side of the pump where the hoses connect. Although Mike is correct on the "prone to seal failure", input shaft leaks typically just soak the gear box and drip to the ground (I just replaced my TJ gear box a few months ago). The pump is much easier to repair than the box.
--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI