Stop Leak for Power Steering?

I have a rather bad power steering leak on my '91 XLT. It is not the hoses so I suppose it has to be leaking where it connects to the steering U-Joint.

Anyone know if this seal is easy/difficult to replace? Would I be better off getting a rebuilt power steering gear?

Can I just pour a can of something in it to stop/slow down the leak?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Power steering pump may be source of leak. These pumps seem to be notoriously noisy and prone to leaks. Dump in any power steering stop leak stuff you can find. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you are no worse off. You'll still have to replace the damn thing.

Reply to
DAVMO

Thanks DAMVO. Much to my surprise I found power steering stop leak. I removed as much old fluid from the reservior as I could and put some in. Now I'll wait and see.

After a lot of cleaning, removing plastic covers, checking hoses, and crawling underneath the car with a flashlight I finally managed to see just where the leak is. It's coming from the front of the power steering gear where the shaft prodruds and connects to the steering shaft (to the steering wheel). I did not see any leaks on the pump itself. I found that the seal is available but I cannot find any instructions on how to replace the seal. Any chance a rebuild kit would include enough instructions? My Hayne's manual tells how to replace the steering gear and all but I have some doubts about doing this. I'm just your typical "backyard" type auto mechanic. I've done a variety of repairs but I'm thinking there may be something that I don't know about that could cause problems later on. I know that all of the screws must be replaced but basically I don't know if there is something else I don't know.

Reply to
Ulysses