1990 LS400 Power Steering Leak

The seal on my rack and pinion is leaking where the steering wheel shaft enters the box. I am told by the Lexus dealer that they need to replace the entire rack and pinion, as rebuilding is not allowed, and parts are not available from Lexus. This is to cost over $700. Any ideas how to do this cheaper? Thanks,

John snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Ackerman

Sounds cheap to me, but then I'm the otherside of the pond in rip off uk Breaker?

Reply to
old man

Have you tried seeing if a local mechanic can get salvaged parts and rebuild it for you?

Reply to
Ol' Dirty Bastard

Try a Google search for "rack and pinion" you may find someone who rebuilds these things - YOURS isn't the ONLY on that's failed.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

rockauto.com has a remanufactured unit from Beck/Arnley for $303. + $130 core charge that's refunded once they get your p/s rack

jan

Reply to
Randy Taylor

So if you have a seal on your rack and pinion, all you need to do is take some fish and coax the seal out from under the car. It is probably good to have the zoo people there to take the seal to the zoo when you get it out. No need for anything expensive!

Reply to
mcbrue