Question about a noise in the engine

Wow.... this is a loaded question. IIRC, the '94 has an EGR valve and this could be something as simple as cleaning or replacing the valve. OTOH, it may be an intake gasket........ but without hearing the noise for myself, it's just too hard to say if there's a chance it may be something worse.

I would approach the current owner and express my desire to purchase the vehicle but that I wont as long as this particular noise is present. I would even go as far as offering to pay all or a portion of the repair if it doesn't exceed dollars..... IF this is the car I couldn't live without.

Having said that, I have seen these things go for years with noises - but that all depends on the noise. We also need to realize that this thing is ten years old, mileage unknown and area it lives in unknown. If all else fails, have a shop you trust take a look.... it might be money well spent.

HTH

Jim Warman

i am looking to buy a 94 Explorer. i took it for a test drive and i noticed a ticking in the engine when we were going up hills, excelerating quickly, and just generaly pushing the engine a little. i wonder if its a valve thing or what. and if it is a valve thing. can they just be adjusted or would they have to be replaced? thanks for your help.

Reply to
HRHEvilAnna