Radiator fan runs continously

1998 V6 SOHC. I had a problem with engine overheating, replaced the thermostat and problem appears to be fixed. But while I was working with it I noticed that the radiator fan is running even when the engine is cold and the A/C is off.

The Haynes manual that I have doesn't have any schematics for the radiator fan. Any advice?

As always thanks in advance for any help Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Big Shoe

Hey thanks for the info. I looked at the belt routing diagram under the hood and I didn't see the fan on it so I assumed it was electric. I'll have to go take a closer look at it today. Does the belt provide the turning force? I would assume that the fan should not be turning when the car is stationary and the engine running but cold? What would cause it to turn? Any disadvantages to it turning when cold (gas mileage comes to mind). How much could the fan turning un-necessarily affect mileage.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
sehaare

When very cold, the viscosity of the fluid will cause the fan to turn at the same speed as the water pump shaft. As the fluid warms, it will allow the fan to freewheel.... it turns, but not as fast as the pump shaft. Since it is moving very little air at this time, it doesn't add to your fuel consumption. As the coolant heats, the heated air passing through the radiator will cause the viscous clutch to apply, driving the fan at close to the same speed or at the same speed as the pump shaft. Now that it actually doing work, it will impact the fuel mileage.

There is no way to avoid having the fan turn while it is not actually pumping air, nor is there any reason not to let it freewheel.

Jim Warman

If it has the gel coupling, the gel is thin at cool temps, and the coupling slips, allowing the fan to turn more slowly (and quietly).

When the temp rises above a certain point, the gel, er, gels up, and the fan spins faster.

It never doesn't spin, though.

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Reply to
Fred 2

Thanks to everyone for the help on this. I been convinced that everything is working fine (or close enough for now).

Thanks again Steve

Reply to
sehaare

The fan I believe always turns, but when needed, the clutch will engage and speed the fan up.

Reply to
Xx