radiator replacement

I'm replacing the radiator on my 1993 Explorer, and looking at it, I wonder, what steps to I take? Do I have to remove the fan in order to get the plastic cowl off the radiator? What about the cooling lines for the auto transmission, air conditioning, and maybe power steering, which all seem to run in the radiator area? Is there a way to slip out the core and tank and leave the rest of the architecture in place?

- Ray

Reply to
Ray

Ray, some of the best advice is to get a manual. It doesn't need to be a Helm shop manual, one of the ones bookstores sell will do nicely. Otherwise, it's entirely possible you can be stuck in the middle of the project, and trips to the computer can be a real bear. Cheap advice, & worth a lot. Good luck!

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Probably don't *have* to remove the fan, but it would make things a lot easier !

Other than that, two mounts at the top of the rad, the upper and lower hoses, of course. The 2 lines for the trans-cooler, and then you should be able to yank it out. A/C and Power steering don't have anything to do with it.

It's really pretty easy, just requires some patience !.... Oh, and pick up a line wrench for the Trans cooler lines rather than stripping them with an open end wrench :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

No you don't have to remove the fan. Just undo the shroud at the top and it will then pull up out of the clips that hold it to the bottom of the radiator. Then you can just slide it back toward the engine and let it hang on the fan. Take the top mounts loose for the radiator and it will pull up out of the bottom rubber hole mounts it sits in. You'll need to disconnect the tranny cooler lines and radiator hoses of course. It's a very straightforward job, you'll probably have the old one out and the new one in in less then an hour the first time. The second time you'll be able to do it in less then

20 minutes.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy