1998 XLT V8 Needs New Catalytic Converter

My "check engine" light came on. Local Ford dealer performed a diagnostic. They claim my left catalytic converter is going out. They quoted me a $1400 repair charge, part's and labor. The catalytic converter itself is $1000 through the dealer. Any suggestions on how I could get this done any cheaper and still use a Ford part?

TIA

Scott

Reply to
Scott Griffith

I don't know about the v8 model, but I just replaced the cat on my 1996 V6, it's held on by 4 bolts, it's simple to replace. I replaced the bolts while I was at it. You might try calling around a few dealers if you'd like to use the Ford part as prices do vary from one to the other.

Paul

diagnostic.

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

the left converter is going out, which left, there are two lefts and two rights for a total of four conveters. The upstream converters are integral with the forward exhuast pipes and can be replaced with the forward exhaust pipe (right or left)

Both downsteam c>My "check engine" light came on. Local Ford dealer performed a diagnostic.

Reply to
Fred 2