Re: 1997 Ford Explorer.... weird

Jim.... I'm taking the liberty of ccing this to RAMFE so that others with similar concerns can benefit from it..... Additionally, I would appreciate if we can all keep it on the NG - I do have life outside the group and it does keep me hopping.

On to Jims concern..... without knowing if we are dealing with RKE and (assuming that resetting means cycling) we'll forge ahead with the operating strategy and hope that gets us closer to the problem. BTW.... I didn't see any TSBs using Jims symptoms and the symptom chart in the workshop manual didn't help either..... We also need to ask if there are any add-ons.... alarms, remote starters, home grown stereo installations... is the car parked near high voltage lines, a power substation, telephony repeater tower or similar?

Whether the PDLs are RKE or not, the only tie in they have with the GEM is a signal to turn on the interior lights - if the locks are cycling, the lights will turn on but the battery saver should turn them out in short order. There have been problems in the past with moisture getting into the GEM but this shouldn't be able to cycle the locks. In the case of RKE systems, the RAP (remote antitheft personality) module sends a signal to the GEM to turn on the interior lights.

Going out on a limb...... almost too far to be comfortable, I'd start with checking door switches (slam each door to see if there is a response) and having the RAP module polled for DTCs. I can't see where the replacement DRL module could have an effect but Jim could try unplugging the DRL module to see if the symptoms persist.

weird?.... yep

----- Original Message ----- From: Jim Abbey To: snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 12:21 AM Subject: 1997 Ford Explorer.... weird

Hi Jim...

I don't think you will remember me but I have a 97 Explorer and have some really good advice from you before..

Here is the newest (sic) weirdest problem I am having..

About a week ago my Daylight running module gave up the ghost, and I took it to the Ford dealership for replacement. No biggie.. just a a lot of cash..

Since then I have been having trouble with my door locks and interior lights.. they keep resetting themselves and draining the battery, I have put a new battery in it and it still acts up..

Help

Reply to
Jim Warman