Re: Am I missing something?

A hush fell over the crowd when, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Joyce) stepped up to the podium and announced:

I have a 2003 Explorer 4x4. My son "thinks' he may have accidently >pushed the 4x4 button on the dash. I don't see any kind of indicaor >light to tell you that you're in 4 wheel drive and I hate to push it >again in case he actually didn't engage it. I can't really feel any >difference in driving although when I first start the vehicle in the >morning, it feels a little rough at first (almost like a rough idle). >Any thoughts? Any way to positively tell if it's in 4WD? Is there any >harm in leaving it in 4WD for around town driving? I'm heading off on a >several thousand mile trip and don't wanna compromise my gas mileage. > >TIA

if it's like my '03 XLT, if it's in anything else besides the default, an indicator on the instrument panel will light up. If there isn't any light on, you're fine.

Reply to
01dynanospam

Well, even if an indicator light didn't come on, it could be burned out unless it comes on during the key-on self test.

Start it up, engage the 4WD and make sure that your indicator light DOES in fact work, and then disengage it. If in face you have the 4WD High or Low that lock all four tires to the same speed, you definately want it turned off for paved road driving. If it's 4WD Auto, no issue with driving on pavement because of the clutch used in the transfer case.

Having 4WD turned on will not affect your idle in the morning.

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT