Re: wiring for trailer

Thank you for your help with trailer wiring on the 97 Explorer. I opened the jack compartment, and there was the pigtail! I plugged it in, plugged the trailer into that, and presto--it worked! Without your help I might have spent a bunch of money to buy what I already had. dcm

Message 2 in threadFrom: AZGuy ( snipped-for-privacy@cox.net) Subject: Re: wiring for trailer   View this article onlyNewsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer Date: 2003-05-30 22:58:50 PST

It sounds like the factory trailer connection for the factory trailer pigtail. On my 92 it was on the drivers side. You should be able to buy the pigtail from the dealer (look in your jack storage area first and see if there isn't one stuck down in there somewhere) or I've heard people say they have bought them aftermarket. If you have the factory setup there will also be a couple extra relays back in the jack storage area that get activated when you plug the pigtail in. You'll then here them clicking when you put the brakes or turn signals on.

>On the passenger side is another round connector, but this one isn't > >connected to anything. It has a red plastic thingy inserted into the > >connectors. > > On my 99 mountaineer. The round connector on the right was for reverse sensing > system (not installed) and the drivers side had the same exact connector that > was for the traielr wiring. I spent hours trying to figure out why the trailer > wiring didn't work only to realize I had plugged it into the wrong side!
Reply to
dcm