rear wire harness

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. I recently put a tow hitch on it. In the process I found tucked under the rear bumper a wiring harness that lookes like it would be for a towing package ( lights, directional signals, etc.). It even as a plug on the end that lookes like it should attach to something. However when I test it for power I get nothing. Is it a towing setup or is it for something else? Bill

Reply to
billc

I can't be 100% sure but it does sound like the towing wiring. The reason you don't get any power is because the factory mating plug and wires (the pigtail) has to be plugged in to turn on the relays. If you have the towing package there are 2 or 3 relays back inside the left side hatch that the jack is stored in. When the pigtail is plugged in you will hear the relays clicking every time you put on the brakes. If you don't have the pigtail (it would have come with the vehicle originally if the dealer didn't throw it out) you might be able to order one. It's also possible the original owner stuffed it inside the jack storage area.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It really depends on what the plug is on the end. Is it a flat 4 that would be for a light trailer? Maybe a round 7 for a heavy trailer?

A likely guess is that you need the factory adapter to a 4 or 7 pin connector. You can often get these at an auto parts or hitch store.

But first you should figure out what you are going to pull. Thankfully, my '02 was set up with the plug behind the glove box for the brake controller. That works great! You might have to add one if you are pulling a heavy trailer, and then you likely will need the round 7 pin connector.

Dave

Reply to
Dave