RE: '03 Rear axle whine

Last post on this subject (I hope)

  1. Truck went in shop 7/5/06. Service guy carried my wife home. (we live about 15 miles from shop)
  2. Shop delivered truck back at house 07/07/06.
  3. Fixed the following items: Put in rear end bearing kit Replaced rear driver side power window motor. (again) Replaced black door pillar panels on both sides that had become discolored. Put a few bucks of gas in truck
  4. Charge: 1. Truck went in shop 7/5/06. Service guy carried my wife home. (we live about 15 miles from shop) 2. Shop delivered truck back at house 07/07/06. 3. Fixed the following items: Put in rear end bearing kit Replaced rear driver side power window motor. (again) Replaced black door pillar panels on both sides that had become discolored. Put a few bucks of gas in truck 4. Charge: $0 5. I tested the truck Sunday and the rear whine is not noticeable.
  5. I tested the truck Sunday and the rear whine is not noticeable.

All in all, not a bad experience at all. I suggest Freedom Ford in Centre, Alabama if you live anywhere around here. They also listen to my other complaints and offer suggestions on how to fix them myself on my '99 Explorer and '01 SuperCrew. So far so good, I have my fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone! Richard Grimes

Well it really went in today to the shop. 07/05/06 warranty expires > 07/31/06. They did not have a loaner car for my wife so the service manager > took her home. Which was pretty nice of them. > Is there any particular "test" that can be done to make sure everything > is OK, or at least not worse? > > Thanks > Richard > > > > > 2003 XLT 24K miles almost out of warranty first of August. > > > > Calcification on rear axle noise? > > > > I think my explorer in getting the famous rear end whine. At speeds > > between 40 and 65 there is a loud whining sound BUT when I take my foot > off > > of the gas the whine sound quits. Is this what everyone has been talking > > about or something else? > > > > Thanks > > Richard Grimes
Reply to
Cedartown Electronics

Was you Explorer still under factory warranty? I too have the discoloration of the window pillars on my Explorer (2002). It's way out of warranty. Dealer said too bad. Seems like a design defect to me.

"Cedartown Electronics" wrote in news:725b5$44b26bfc$943fa388$ snipped-for-privacy@STARBAND.NET:

Reply to
akheel

Yes mine is still under warranty until the end of the month. The dealer said that most Explorers have that problem. I was not expecting that part to be covered. /Richard

Reply to
Cedartown Electronics