Rear Brakes

2000 Explorer XLT 5.0. Bought used with 28,000 miles in August, 2003. Now has 31,000 and left rear rotor started grinding and is very scored. What is your average mileage to replace rear pads? I have a feeling that I'm in for a fight with the warranty company.

Thanks for all replies.

Reply to
txgizmo

John Shoemaker

Mileage varies with breaks, especially with the poor caliper pin/slide design on the Explorer. Personally, I would recommend that the caliper pins/slides be cleaned and lubricated every year or so, depending on the climate in your area. 31,000 miles on the rear is not that bad considering this. My '98 fronts needed replacing at around 25,000 and the rears at around 35,000 here in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, breaks are not covered under warranty :o(

Steven

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

It could be from your parking brake drum that is built in the rotor. If you don't use it for a long period of time then use it, it sometimes doesn't release all the way. Mine did this and chewed up the left rear drum part of the rotor. I didn't know there was a problem until the ABS sensor went out on that wheel. My Ford ESP covered it. There is also a TSB about the parking brake release issue.

scored.

Reply to
Chris

I just did the rear brakes on my 98 XLT at 106k.

Clarke

Reply to
Clarke Woodfin

It is important to recognize that not everyones driving experience or conditions is in alignment with anyone elses..... Nothing on the face of this planet will be better than periodic visual inspection. That there are so many of us with time to spend in front of the monitor should be an indication that time is, indeed, cheap.... unles the clock is 'running'....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have a 98 4.0 XLT with 60K. Just had it serviced and the guy at the service station said that the rear brakes are at about 50%. I bought it used with 40K but I'm pretty sure the brakes were never replaced. Both front and rear. The front ones are at 30% thread left.

Reply to
zoti

They determined that the LR Caliper was sticking and replaced it, the LR Rotor and both L & R pads and turned the RR Rotor.. I argued for them to replace both rotors, but they didn't feel it was necessary.

Thanks to all who posted to the original message.

Reply to
txgizmo