Rear Windshield Wiper Problem

The problem is that the darn thing won't work. We bought this 2000 Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer when it had 33K miles on it. The wiper worked intermittently (somedays yes, most days no) when we got it. Once my wife was able to do some sort of manipulations to get it to work, then it would not work the next day. Amy suggestions appreciated, TIA. John BTW - the "New" '96 has a working wiper - go figure. Is it a year model problem?

Reply to
John Ahnen

Sorry, no help here, just dire predictions from me. I have a 2000 XLT with 83K miles on it. I had the rear wiper replaced 2 times and now it works intermittently just like yours. Sadly, it only seems to work when it is NOT raining. Morever, the darn thing only get's half the window when it does work. If anyone knows the secret, please let us know.

Reply to
tfandango

I had the same problem with my 1994. The problem I had is the the ground wire wasn't in too much good shape. You have to remove the panel and look the motor. Check all wiring. Mine was sometimes working and when I was opening the door and closing afterward it wasn't working anymore. I think that it's an electrical problem like mine. If the motor was done it wouldn't work at all. Hope it will help. Regards

Marc

"tfandango" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
The Punisher

The rear wiper on my '94 has been flaky since new. Warranty fixes lasted a few months. I finally gave up on it. I think it's a poor design, and still is 11 years later. I don't really need it anyway, I use my mirrors to see behind.

bend it, lube it, curse it, it'll maybe work for a while. Built Ford Tough!

Reply to
Bob

Mine did the same and finally needed to chenge the wiper motor.

Reply to
Ed Mann

My 2002 Explorer XLT has what seems to be a slow starting wiper motor. When you first try to run it, it goes very slowly. Then after a couple of passes, it seems to take off normally. It has done this for a year or so. (We also had issues with the rear window motors. Had to replace both of them within 4 months of each other. What a pain!!)

Reply to
coop999

Our 92 Sport's rear wiper worked sporadically when we got it, and it soon quit altogether. I did a voltage check, and voltage was going out of the switch, but wasn't getting to the wiper motor. I'm unwilling to pull out the interior to check it further. Life is like that sometimes. :-)

Reply to
Big Bill

Reply to
Big Shoe

On ours, the motor works fine; I can jump it with 12v, and it works just like it's supposed to. It should, it's been resting since 93!

Reply to
Big Bill

I too had the same problem with my rear wiper,the wiper would hardly touch the window, but I have since corrected the problem without spending a dime. If anyone is interested in a 5 minute corrective fix for this problem I would gladly send via your email a detailed step by step instruction guide for a small fee of $5. This repair is simple and will allow the wiper to wipe the entire blade length of the widow and has worked on 3 different year Ford Explorers to date.

Reply to
holenhead

I too had the same problem with my rear wiper,the wiper would hardly touch the window, but I have since corrected the problem without spending a dime. If anyone is interested in a 5 minute corrective fix for this problem I would gladly send via your email a detailed step by step instruction guide for a small fee of $5. This repair is simple and will allow the wiper to wipe the entire blade length of the widow and has worked on 3 different year Ford Explorers to date.

Reply to
holenhead

That's low man, This is not a get rich quick forum, not helping others out is kind of rude if you ask me. We all share our ideas here and help one another out. If this were the way Jim would be a millionaire by now!

That's my two cents

-Andy

99 Ford Explorer XLS

Teleplus Gatineau

I have to fix mine, but I am going to try a trick my dad told me about. you can go to Canadian Tire and in the HELP ME section get a Spring Tension Increase kit. he said they are about 5 - 10 bucks. The problem with the wiper is that the spring becomes to weak and the hinge on the wiper arm over powers the spring and keeps it off the glass. You just need to replace the spring or re-enforce it. and a bit of WD40 in the hinge.

that's my plan, and I will let you all know if it works. I am not in a rush, but next time I am at Canadian tire I will grab the part.

Oh look......FREE ADVICE!

-Andy

99 Ford Explorer XLS

Teleplus Gatineau