Rearview mirror keeps falling off...

It seems that over the 6+ years that I've had this 91 XLT 4X4, I've had to re-attach the inside rearview mirror at least once a year. I've tried every 'superglue' adhesive (incl the 'special' mirror glue)...

Most of the time it just 'falls off' when one goes to adjust it, other times we'll simply find it lying in the cockpit...

Each time, the glue remnants are scraped off with a razor blade, the mating surfaces cleaned with isopropyl (sp) alcohol, let to dry then re-glued...

It doesn't seem to matter if the vehicle is garaged or left outside...

Am I doing 'something' wrong, or does anyone have this inconvenience?

Rick

91 XLT 4X4 - 191,000 miles
Reply to
pray4surf

I've had similar experiences with some of my cars. And, like you I have found that no amount of cleaning, or different adhesives made a difference.

What I DID find though is that *most* windshield repair shops (esp the big ones like Saflite ) will re-attach it for FREE !

I've had 2 or 3 cars mirrors re-attached at shops and they STAY ATTACHED !

Check the yellow pages, and call a few shops ... I'm SURE you'll find one that does it for free. (of course I usually give the guy a tip at least )

They use a 2 part primer / adhesive. doesn't seem like magic or anything, but it MUST be different than the windshield glue you buy at Pep Boys CAUSE IT WORKS !

YMMV!

Reply to
chief_wiggum

I used to have this problem too. A couple of years ago I came across a clear two part epoxy. Works like a charm and has been on now longer than any of the of called "adhesives" that you will find in the auto section. I don't recall which one I got so snoop around and see what is available. The key data is that it works on glass and metal. Good precleaninig of the surfaces is a requirement. I used a piece of tape to hold the little metal bar to the windshield while the epoxy set. Then you can slip on the mirror assembly.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Thanks guys - I'll keep your suggestions for future reference. After all, the mirror has 'stayed up' for over 24 hours now - LOL

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Hmmm....I was using the windshield adhesive to reattach my rear view mirrors and they kept falling off, so I went to using super glue to reattach them. I haven't had the superglue fail yet.

re-glued...

Reply to
John Riggs