A/C compressor cycling on and off

I have been having an issue with the compressor engaging on and off with any setting on my controls. I believe the accumulator may have a leak as well. my question is, if a leak is present in the system, will the compressor engage on and off very frequently? The compressor does this very randomly. It gets into a cycle where engages on and off until i shut the control off. any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance- Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

This is a built in feature Ford designed in order to keep the compressor and related parts lubricated during the winter. It does this in all settings except the floor heat mode and the vent mode.

Reply to
SizzleMP

Ahh that answers the question then. The thing that worried me was when i was sitting idle, it came off and on like every 2 seconds, adn really affected the idle of the engine. wasnt sure if that was normal. thanks for your help. what would be the best way to see if i have a coolant leak? Thanks again.

Reply to
Ryan

Every two seconds is much too rapidly - usually an indication of low refrigerant charge. Recommend disconnecting the compressor clutch connector until repairs can be performed to prevent clutch damage.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ok, I kind of thought that, how do you disconnect the compressor clutch connector? I will be getting it repaired, but not until the end of May. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

There are two wires going to the front of the compressor..... simply follow them to the connector hardshell (not knowing year, engine size, etc. I have no idea which style connector you have). There will be some sort of locking tab on the connector, work carefully to avoid breaking the tab....

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Pulling the fuse might be easier.....