Rearview mirror adhesive

Hi, would like your opinions please... Managed to dislodge my rearview mirror again, and was wondering what is the best way to stick it back on. Last time I used a kit designed for this, which consisted of a tube of superglue and a piece of "activated mesh", and that seemed to work ok, but the glue on its own didn't work this time, I think it needs the mesh. I also tried contact adhesive but it didn't work, though I don't know if the cold temperature had anything to do with it. What do you guys think the best adhesive is for reattaching rearview mirrors? (and what exactly is "activated mesh"? if it's nothing special then £3 seems a lot to pay for 0.5ml of superglue...) If only there was a method of attachment which avoided the need to bond metal to glass in cold weather...

Reply to
Helen Page

The message from Helen Page contains these words:

The mesh contains the activator for the glue. Without it - the glue doesn't work. Last time I used one I had enough mesh left over after trimming it to fit to do the neighbour's mirror when hers fell off. Useful tip - if the weather's cold when you do the job, warm the screen up by putting a /warm/ water bottle (not a hot water bottle) on the outside of the screen. It only need be mildly warm, perhaps 25C would do nicely.

What you're paying for is a product that works - look at it that way and it doesn't seem so bad.

Reply to
Guy King

The kits with activated mesh work well, but everything should be scrupulously clean as grease from the fingers spoils the bond, as will damp or condensation at this time of year . The glue itself is not quite superglue , I thought I would use that a year or two back and save a few bob . There is no "give" in superglue and my screen cracked, first in the corner of the mirror but within a week or two I had to replace the screen. The activated mesh contains a catalyst but trying to get any chemical reaction to work in sub zero temperatures is pretty hopeless...... run the heater. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Ah, now the tube is labelled araldite, I thought that was glue in its own right, didn't realise it needed an activator.

Thanks for the tip. Will probably do it tomorrow afternoon when the sun reaches the car and warms it a little...

True. I just wondered if it was the most effective method for the money.

Reply to
Helen Page

Thanks for the advice. I did make sure the area was as clean as I could get it. Will try tomorrow with a new kit and the heater or the hot water bottle Guy suggested (think I'll take it out of the fluffy green cover first though! ;) )

By the way, anyone know why the packet says "Not suitable for use on the following cars: Seat, Ford and Mazda 121"? My car isn't one of them, but I'm just curious...

Reply to
Helen Page

No it's not, it's loctite. Duh. I blame it on the fact that I'm up at 5am...

Reply to
Helen Page

I bought a double sided sticky pad thing from a car accessory place for 40p. Lasted 2 years then I sold the car. Make sure all bonding surfaces are scrupulously clean.

gino

Reply to
gino

"gino" wrote in news:421b0f7e$0$26732$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com:

I was then going to write whatever you do don't use the sticky pad things :-) I've had a couple on the wife's Vectra and find they make the mirror vibrate out of sync with the car which is really annoying to me (admittedly she never noticed it!). I guess it depends on the car. I ended up using the mesh and glue type and never looked back :-)

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will

on my last vectra an '02' reg 1.8 SRI 130 Estate, the rear view mirror vibrated anyway from new!!!

On previous cars I find it best to clean the bit of window you are going to bond to with isopropyl Alcohol spray first, availale at maplins - Servisol spray IPA170 etc.... - This *WILL* clear any grease and dirt first.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The message from Helen Page contains these words:

In my opinion - yes. It's the only mirror sticking system I've not come unstuck wtih - I'm sticking with it.

Reply to
Guy King

Incompatible with heated front windscreens, perhaps ? Glass is glass.

The Loctite glue does work well, but you must make sure everything is scrupulously clean and warm. Also, take a close look at the mirror to see if it comes apart. I found a tiny grub screw on the one on my old Cavalier, which detached the mirror arm from a mounting plate. This meant I only had to glue a small, light, plate onto the screen, before attaching the rest of the mirror somewhat later when I was sure the glue was properly set.

Reply to
John Laird

Every summer I was replacing the sticky pad on my mirror but then bought a new mirror with a twist on suction cup. Absolutely brilliant, solid as a rock and easy to remove when giving the inside windscreen a good clean.

Reply to
Mark

Except they don't always suit - we've got one of them, and I can't see a thing in it. We have a Fiat Brava and my wife can use it with a bit of fiddling around, but when I'm in the car all I can see is a wee tiny bit of the pavement outside.

Reply to
Alan Gauton

Loctite make araldite. You will have a tube of resin and a free radical activator usually held as a powder on the mesh surface.

Reply to
Chris Street

As far as I know, my 2 prevous cars (both Fords) didn't have heated windscreens... *shrugs*

Unfortunately my mirror doesn't appear to come apart. I did look to see if I could separate the 2 parts but no joy.

Reply to
Helen Page

I used one of those sticky pad things before when I dislodged the rearview mirror and it was fine as a temporary measure but then there was some quite warm weather and the pad pulled away from the windscreen. I think I noticed slight vibrations too.

Reply to
Helen Page

Sounds good, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get them from?

Reply to
Helen Page

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

"I am not enmeshed - I am a FREE RADICAL!"

Reply to
Guy King

Judging from the other posts about sticky pads, mine must have been the 1 in

10 that doesn't fall off so soon :).

Anyway, when I first went in the shop they offered me one for 15p. I told them it's for a rearview mirror and they sold me another one for 40p, saying it was more 'heavy duty'. Maybe not all sticky pads are the same?

Good luck

gino

Reply to
gino