Replace ignition coil - 2002 Esp XLT

I have a 2002 Explorer XLT v8, bought new. Less than 70,000 miles on it. Mostly no problems. A couple years ago it started randomly missing. Asked dealer twice to check , they said could find no problem.

I started putting Chevron's Techron in the gas - this pretty much took care of the missing.

Recently I decided to do something about the missing more permanant.

I bought an Actron Auto Scanner Plus. It came up with "cylinder 6 missfire". The fix is usually to replace the ignition coil. Code P0306.

Is this something I can do? I looked with a flashlight, can't locate the spark plugs. I replaced all kinds of things in the ignition systom on a 93 Crown Vic - no problem. Don't like the way cars have changed over the years, but what can you do?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks, WLW

Reply to
wwallick

I would be surprised if Techron fixed an ignition missfire.

Do you know how to count Ford cylinders?

A 2002 Explorer 4.6L V8 would have "Coil-On-Plug" ignition. The number 6 spark plug is underneath the number 6 coil pack. The number 6 coil pack will be second one from the front on on the driver's side of the engine (if you are in the US). Look for the cylindrical object with two wires running into it. There will be four of them on each side of the engine on either side of the intake manifold. They are straight up and sitting on top of the spark plugs you can't find. Rather than replace the coil pack immeadiately, why not swap it with the number 5 coil pack and see if the miss follows the coil pack. If you replace the coil pack be sure to replace the spark plug boot as well (this is essentially a short spark plug wire that conencts the coil pack to the plug). Ford claims that over 50% of the coil packs returned under warranty are not bad at all. A single cylinder ignition mis could be due to a bad coil pack, a bad spark plug boot, a bad spark plug, or an electricl problem with the 12V feed to the coil pack. If you take it to the dealer, they will likely replace the plug, boot and coil pack.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks for a great explanation of my problem. I take it that the plugs, etc. are on the top of the engine. There is a large shroud on the top and I didn't remove it.

What brand coil, etc. would you recommend I get? Ford parts seem to be the most expensive.

WLW

Reply to
wwallick