REPLACING BEARINGS FOR 1996 AWD FORD EXPLORER

I AM WONDERING I HAVE GOTTEN DIFFERENT ANSWERS. THE FIRST ANSWER I GOT WAS THAT YOU CAN NOT REPLACE THE BEARINGS YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE HUB UNIT BECAUSE THEY ARE SEALED.

THE 2ND IS YES YOU CAN REPLACE THE BEARINGS ALONE PLEASE WHICH IS CORRECT?? MY EXPLORER IS A 1996 AWD NO ANTI-LOCK BREAKS, 8 CYL. THANKS

Reply to
REALRED20005

I thinks yours is the hub/bearing type since it's a AWD.

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

I replaced the hub/bearings on my 2000 4wd sport, took about

8 hours total. Cost aroung 100 bucks a piece, + 20 for the BIG socket for the hub nut. pat
Reply to
pat gustafson

I don't know if the 2000 uses the same 95-99 hub/bearing design but the official Ford price is $267. At fordpartsonline.com you can get it for about $200. I hear there is a Timken replacement that goes for $176 but I couldn't find one locally here in Dallas, TX.

The socket for the nut is a 32mm or a 1 1/4 inch. Cost me about 8 bucks at pepboys.

I did mine this week and it took me ~2 hours per wheel (I did only one side). You need to lift the truck and remove the wheel, brake caliper, rotor and then the hub/bearing assembly. The rotor just sits on the hub but expect to have to bang on it a bit to get it loose.

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

You're right, it was around 170-180 for each hub. my bad.

pat

Reply to
pat gustafson