Run on starter

I have a 1984 Ford E150. The starter keeps turning after the engine has started. I disconnect the ignition wire from the starter relay to de-energize it but the starter keeps turning. I turn the ignitiion switch to the "off" position but the starter keeps turning with the engine turned off. I disconnect the starter from the starter relay to stop the starter from turning. With the ignition wire dosconnected from the starter relay,I touch the starter power wire to the starter terminal on the relay there is a large spark and a loud POP.

Is there anyone out there who has had this type of problem?

Reply to
poorsoul

Sounds like the solenoid is stuck ( its on the fender) You probably need a new one.

Reply to
Mikepier

Mike I failed to mention that in my post. I have replaced the starter relay twice. After the replacement, the starter system works fine for a short time and then it starts to act up again. Do you have anymome suggestions?

Reply to
poorsoul

From your description, it still points to a faulty starter solenoid (relay).

You can prove one way or the other by doing this:- remove the heavy wire between the starter and the solenoid connect a heavy cable (about 1/4" diameter) to the starter terminal which now has no cable attached firmly press the other end onto battery positive terminal Be very careful with this cable, wear safety glasses!!

The starter should turn only when the cable is touching the battery positive terminal

If you haven't got a cable to use, you can improvise by using a normal jump start lead. remove the alligator clip from one end

If the above is OK, I suggest you put a voltmeter on the out terminal of the solenoid (the one with the cable disconnected) it should real nil volts. Then energise it a few times (turn key to start) with the meter still connected, to make sure it isn't sticking. (you should get 12 volts)

There are another 2 points to consider

1 The solenoid is not the correct one for this vehicle and works a few times before burning the contacts together 2 The starter itself is shorting out internally and the extra high current is burning the solenoid contacts together

Hope this of some help

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor