Starter didn't disengage.

1987 Towncar 5.0 L V8. When I cranked the engine, the starter didn't disengage. The starter continued to run and turn engine even after I turned off ignition. I tried to disconnect battery cables but with just pliers couldn't turn them. The other end of the positive cable is attached to the starter relay. I turned the battery cable relay connecting nut about 1/2 turn and the starter stopped cranking the engine.

The relay is mounted on the upper fender, not on the starter.

It was about 9 degrees F outside. When I restarted it, it worked fine. I let motor warm up and shut off engine and re-cranked engine about 7 times and it works fine every time.

So is the problem with the relay? Or could some of the wires connected to the relay been shorted out? Or did the starter just fail to retract the starting gear?

The only thing I did to cause it to stop was turn the nut that connects the battery cable to the relay. In turning it 1/2 turn the other wires connected to that terminal also moved.

If it was with the starter solenoid, then why did moving wire on relay stop it?

Reply to
J J

Sounds to me like the relay failed internally, and by turning the nut (and probably the post as well) you got the contacts to break free of each other. I'd replace the relay (actually commonly called a solenoid) because it's cheap (the same part has been in common use since about

1956) and is likely your problem, and at this point I wouldn't trust it.

I'm not sure what you mean by solenoid, does your starter have a solenoid as well for positive engagement of the starter drive gear? (i.e. not a Bendix or Folo-Thru type drive) I would not think that that would be the problem, if that had stuck the starter gear would have been engaged but there would have been no power to the starter motor so once you shut the engine off the starter would not turn.

I'd replace the solenoid on the inner fender ASAP and then not worry about it any more.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

i have had same problem on my wrecker...it does it if i don't start for awhile and i think not enough juice running to starer to let it disengage the battery is my problem soon as i put a charge in it works fine.but he might be right on on your deal the solenoid....

Reply to
Scrapper

Either the solenoid is shot or the ignition switch freezes in the start position in the cold.

Reply to
« Paul »

Lauren_ snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J J) wrote in news:1625-45BCA555-749@storefull-

3231.bay.webtv.net:

after you replace the solenoid (inner fender mount) grind the rivets of your old one and look at the big burned spot from where the contacts welded until you removed power.....always interesting to see the problem close up.

Reply to
KjunRaven