Slipping gears, blinking O/D light, bad gas mileage and only 82K miles

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with an automatic transmission and only 82,000 miles. Recently the car has been slipping between second and third. Eventually the O/D light will come on and the car will go into "failsafe" mode. I took it to a dealership and a hundred dollars later they told me I needed a new transmission.

Before this I was having trouble in Overdrive on the highway heading up slight grades. The car would actually "bump" and fail to downshift. I was getting really poor gas mileage and for a time I thought there was a problem with one or more of my oxygen sensors.

If I do need a new transmission would this explain the poor gas mileage? I was getting horrible gas mileage before the O/D light started blinking. Also does anyone know if I'm damaging the car by driving it knowing that it needs a new transmission? How much should I expect to pay for a new transmission? The dealer quoted me three thousand dollars. But I hear Ford dealerships only replace transmissions they don't fix them. If anyone has any advice or insights I would be greatly appreciative.

Bryan Larimer

Reply to
Bryan L

Most dealerships wont repair an automatic for most concerns in a retail situation (though we are usually required to do so under warranty) ..... the possibility of cross-contamination is too great and many areas are almost impossible to guarranty that all the debris has been cleaned from them. Spool valve clearances are measured in one tenth of one thousandth of an inch increments..... doesn't take much 'debris' to cause grief.

It is more cost effective for the dealer to install a rebuilt unit, passing the liability for future problems down the line (bearing in mind that dedicated, well-equipped transmission shops have cleaning equipment that we can't justify).

Without performing my own diagnosis, I'm almost reluctant to finish up...... most likely, continued driving will cause more damage. If you are aiming for a repair or 'custom rebuild', you will probably be more out of pocket as time progresses. If you opt for an 'off-the-shelf' rebuilt, the only concern would be how much more crap will need to be flushed from the cooler and lines.

As an aside, it is rare that I find a need to replace HO2s...... most poor gas mileage concerns are usually traceable to other problems. Back before OBD2, many manufacturers had O2 sensor replacement recommendations.... I haven't noticed any such recommendations for late model Fords. If you can get a copy of TSB 01-9-7, there is a wealth of information.

Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Right now I'm not in a situation where I can replace my transmission. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to pull the money together to get it done. Do you know how long the warranty is on a transmission put in by the dealership will last? Also I did some towing recently, I'm guessing that might be what finished off the tranny. I love my Explorer but I can't afford to put a new transmission in every 80k miles. Thanks for the advice.

Bryan Larimer

Reply to
Bryan L

Hi Bryan

I just picked up my '97 sport from the dealer yesterday with a new transmission. (84,000 miles) The warranty is a 3 year 36,000 miles.

Best of luck

Thom Shafer

Reply to
Thom Shafer

We use a couple of suppliers..... IIRC, the warrantee on FQRs (Ford supplied rebuilts) is longer than those from independent transmission shops. FQRs are also spendier...... by the same token, the FQRs have a much better track record than most of the cheaper rebuilts.

Hopefully, you can nurse the current unit along far enough to put you in a better position regarding the replacement.

Jim Warman

"Thom Shafer" wrote in news:LGAQb.9373$ZJ1.1631@lakeread01:

You folks with the 97 trannies going out, what's your setup and what type of environment are you driving in?

I've go 110K+ and everything seems fine (knocking on genuine woodgrain plastic). Mine have been mostly highway miles in a mild to cold climate and the vehicle came with the tow package so it has 4.10 ratio and aux cooler. I was hoping the lighter sport versus the 4 dr would put less load on the tranny and it would last longer but if you're seeing failures at 80K maybe its time for a new ride. I'm not panicing or anything, but the tranny is a weak point and I am hoping that you'll share some details.

Reply to
Clark

Dear sir I have a 1999 ford explorer with all the same problems as you.I first noticed the slipping between first and second then the blinking O.D. off light, I just thought the vehicles gas mileage was due to a heavy foot but I realize now that 10 miles to the gallon is out of control.My problem seems to come and go as far as the slipping and the light go.My mileage has been bad since the day I bought it!It almost seems like a computer or electical problem!! If anyone has any hints I would really appreciate them!!

Reply to
gunnyo

noticed the slipping between first and second then the blinking O.D. off light, I just thought the vehicles gas mileage was due to a heavy foot but I realize now that 10 miles to the gallon is out of control.My problem seems to come and go as far as the slipping and the light go.My mileage has been bad since the day I bought it!It almost seems like a computer or electical problem!! If anyone has any hints I would really appreciate them!!

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply