blinking water gauge light 90 cabriolet

hello I have a problem with a blinking water gauge light that won't go out,car is not over heating.What could make this light blink constantly.car is a 1990 cabriolet.any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Reply to
RAD GTI

The light in the water gauge in my '87 Scirocco is multi-function. It indicates over-temp and under-level. That is, not enough coolant in the system. Sometimes it lies* and will indicate low level until I hit a bump or the car warms up.

- Bill

--------

  • Yeah, I know. The detector is going, but it's funnier to say "it lies." :)
Reply to
Bill Leary

The low-level warning is very sensitive...it doesn't take much to trigger it. So even if you have some coolant in the reservoir anyway, make sure it's at "max" when cold. mine gets triggered when it falls below "min" (and the difference between min and max is very little).

Reply to
Matt B.

Coolant level low Bad Coolant Low sensor in bottle Bad Gauge Bad Coolant Temperature sensor maybe. Bad wiring

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

On mine it's something like an inch. I've been assuming it's failing, as I said in my footnote, since it didn't do this for the first four or five years I had the car, but has been doing it intermittently, especially when it's cold out, since then. And it happens so infrequently, I just haven't motivated myself enough to replace the thing yet.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary