SUDDEN OVERHEATING????????? HELP P L E A S E

I have a 99 Explorer with the 4.0 V-6 motor. It has about 100k miles on it. Today, I stopped at a friends house about a block from my house (so it had not gotten to the normal operating temp.). I left it running, with the A/C on, and after a matter of minutes the motor sped up. It did not sit more than 3 to 5 minutes idling with the A/C on. When I got into the Explorer it lacked about 1/4" from being to the red line. With the outside temp at about 100 degrees, I figured it would cool off after I drove a few blocks. WRONG The gauge never went any higher. I brought my Explorer back home, and after letting it cool off, I started to drive around the block. Same problem. I did turn the heater on full blast, and it brought the temp down. Any suggestions would be DEEPLY APPRECIATED Thanks, Barbara

Please feel free to e-mail ANY advise to:

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Barbara

Let it cool down, check your coolant level in the radiator. You may also want to have a mechanic check your thermostat. It sounds like it may have gone, but then, you said it was near redline....on that I haven't a clue ...of course that's normal for me.

Reply to
John Riggs

Sounds like either a thermostat, fan clutch, slipping belt, or cracked head/blown head gasket.

JS

Barbara wrote:

Reply to
Jacob Suter

We had the exact thing happen to our 98EB and took it to the dealer and it was the thermostat. 350.00 later. Thank goodness for the extended warranty I swore I wasn't going to buy.

Reply to
jason_melissa_hana

-------------------------------------------------------------- I just got back my '99 XLT for the same problem. It was the thermostat. My mechanic (not a dealership) changed it for about $65 (parts & labor).

Good Luck, Mark Sparge

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Look also for a slow leak in your radiator or a bad radiator cap. A loss of pressure will drain your coolant, eventually leaving little coolant in the antifreeze tank to recycle back.

Reply to
Richard Ray