Trailer Ball on Bumper on '91

My wife got pulled over because I put a trailer ball in the trailer ball hole on the bumper of my '91 because it "obstructs the view of the license plate." This sounds like bullshit to me. Anyone know if it's illegal to put a ball where it was intended to go? Or was this cop just trying to pick up on my wife? She didn't get a ticket.

Reply to
Ulysses

Art McClinton

And if you were towing something wouldn't that obstruct the view so is all towing illegal?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That was my thought too.

Reply to
Ulysses

Only if you obstructed the view of the plate on the towed vehicle.

Reply to
Hairy

VA sounds worse than California. Other than that how's it living there? This place has become uninhabitable.

Reply to
Ulysses

how do you figure? That would just create TWO obstructed plates. I see no exception in the law about obstructed plates that says you are allowed to obstruct them when towing something. And not everything that's towed needs to have a plate. If you have a piece of construction equipment or farm equipment you generally don't need to have it titled or registered so there is no plate on it but it still obstructs your vehicle plate.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I see nothing in the code that says that towing is illegal if the towed vehicle obstructs the towing vehicle's license plate. All I found was this- Every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

And not everything

My interpretation would be that as long as each individual vehicle is in compliance, they will be in compliance when hooked together. Obviously, if a hitch ball is sticking up in front of the plate, one of the vehicles won't be in compliance.

Reply to
Hairy

If the towed vehicle makes it impossible to see the plate then it is no longer "in a place and position to be clearly visible". Therefore you cannot tow anything unless you install a high rise plate holder so it's visible over the top of the trailer. If you disagree with that then there is no reason why you can't obstruct it with a hitch ball. In fact, it is LESS visible when towing then when it's got a hitch only. Even with a hitch it's still clearly visible AND easily readable simply by slight movement to the side.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I figured the cop was just a butthead. If a cop was to pull up behind me at the usual stopping distance he would be able to still read my license plate unless he was driving in a low-rider with lowered seats. The ball slightly obstructs the letter "G" in the middle but any idiot could figure out that it's the letter "G" and not a "C" or "O" or whatever.

Basically I just don't want to have to try to remove the ball and re-install it every time I want to tow a small trailer. Those things can be a bitch to get off and the lock-washer will probably get mangled. I also don't want to get a ticket and that's why I asked the question in the first place. It thought maybe there was a new law that only applied to newer cars but I've seen some fairly new Explorers with the same trailer ball hole configuration. In California it's not possible to ask the DMV because they have a bunch of brain-dead jerks answering the phone. And that's after you are on hold for 30 minutes. I guess I'll have to pull over a CHP and ask him.

Reply to
Ulysses

Bet Me...........

Reply to
Hairy

Having the ball where it obstructs the numbers or letters on the plate, even a little bit, 'is' illegal. However, being stopped for it, in my experience, would be a fluke. Probably would'nt happen again unless you the same cop happened to notice.

Reply to
Hairy

In the real world, it's best not to employ either reason or wishful thinking when discussing the law. It is what it is, and even lawyers can't agree about what it is.

Got that?

Jack

Reply to
Jack