Transfer Case Motor

I have a '93 Explorer. I am planning on removing the transfer case motor to clean it before winter. Will I still be able to drive it with the motor off? I have heard different things from different people.

Scott

Reply to
wolve120

Yes, you can drive it with the shift motor off, just not in 4-wheel-drive, of course.

IS yours not working? Did you try wrapping it with a hammer a couple of times? That always works on my 92. Though, as Jim Warman points out, it is not a permanent fix. But I don't know that taking it apart and cleaning it is a permanent fix either. Some people have had to do it more than once over time. It is unfortunately another example of something that was built Ford-tough. (I really do wish they would reserve Ford-tough for the less important parts and go with Japanese-tough for stuff that really matters, such as that shift motor.)

Good luck.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Did I write wrap? Geeze. That, of course, should be "rap" with a hammer - unless you have a VERY flexible hammer :o)

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I had it into the shop last spring, and they said they got it to work by "rapping" on it. They recommended that I replace the motor, but I didn't have $400 for the new part. I go to school in the U.P. of Michigan. Lots of cold and snow, but after the weather warmed up, the motor began to shift properly again. I did some research, and most of the info pointed to a simple cleaning instead of a new part. Anyway, I'm going to take it off and clean it this weekend, and see how it works once the weather gets cold. Thanks for the help.

Scott

Reply to
wolve120

Great, post back after a while and let us know how you made out. I'd be interested in seeing whether cleaning it turns out to be more or less a permanent fix. Of course, you could always install a hammer on a lever under there and run a string into the passenger compartment :o)

I find it takes just one or two tiny taps to get it working. But of course a permanent fix would be better.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni