R380 / LT230 gear/transfer box

I'm planning to exchange the old and tired LT95 gearbox of my RRC with a R380 (short stick 5 speed) with LT230 transfer box. The set I want to buy is still in a car , so I can make a test drive to check if it's OK. Are there any special things to look at? Weak synchro's, noisy bearings , or does the unit have no specific weak points. If there are,and not noticeable yet, I could replace parts before installing in my car. I've read there's enough space in the tunnel, so expect I only have to change the hole for the both sticks and the handbrake lever. Expect some difficulties with the speedometer, maybe update to a later speedo unit? Or does it have an electronic speedo?

Kees

Reply to
k.w

k.w uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Check the propshaft lengths are the same.. if they are different, get them while you are there. Maybe someone here already knows mind.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

On or around Tue, 16 Jan 2007 19:39:44 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

good point. The only one I know is different is the borg warner, but that doesn't mean much as I've never had a LT95 to compare.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:20:38 +0100, "k.w" enlightened us thusly:

hangon, just had a thought. what's the 'box coming from? You might want different centre console etc - I had a 5-speed rangie box and it wouldn't fit the disco - gear lever in a different place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote :-

No, but the top is interchangeable.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Things to look for are as you say worn synchros' etc, but also look for clunks when taking up drive or going on to the overrun. If posible take the PTO cover off the back of the transfer box and look for play or signs of wear on the transfer box input gear/ gearbox mainshaft (output shaft).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd