transmission question on cold start

I have a '93 ford explorer auto trans, 115,00 miles. In the morning (its cold now) when I start I have to drive for about 1 mile before the gears will start to shift. Until then it stays in first gear. After it warms up the gears shift normally. I think I may have to do a transmission overhaul as it has the origianl trans. Any advice from those who have had similar problems would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
guntek

Most likely it's not shifting because the seals are leaking too much when it's cold and the clutch packs aren't applying as a result. If it were mine I'd put a can of transmission conditioner in it, the kind that softens and swells the internal seals. It may help and it's only a couple bucks instead of a couple thousand bucks to rebuild it. I've put it in half a dozen transmissions over the years and it's never hurt them and often helped them.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher