Which additive do I put in my transmission?

I have a 1987 Olds 98. Over the last month when the weather is cold in the morning(about 20-35 degrees) I have been having some transmission problems. When I start the car in the morning for the first time and start driving, it will not change gears for about a couple of minutes. It just stays in the first gear and doesn't shift until, apparently, it has warmed up a bit. It doesn't have a problem shifting. It just doesn't change gears until warmed up. After a couple of minutes of driving, it starts working ok and I have no other problems until the next morning when I start off cold again.

Several additives have been suggested. A friend suggested Trans-X Stop Leak & Tune-Up and my local parts store recommended Lucas Transmission Fix.

What should I use? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
jplasater

Most people will tell you not to use any additives. Have you changed the filter and fluid lately (ever.....?)

The symptoms you describe are typical of low internal pressure sometimes from a worn front pump. It can also be overly viscous transmission goop especially in cold weather. The cold weather accentuates this symptom.

Reply to
HLS

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy