U-Haul's practices raise the risk of accidents on the road

Last time I drove 45mph on an interstate (in a work zone) I was more than honked at. Don't you slow is safe types even watch your mirrors and see what is going on behind you? The drivers who don't realize you're going slow until they are a few feet away and then swerve at the last moment into the lane to the left? The truckers that pull up to your bumper thinking that will make you move faster?

Reply to
Brent P

The example where U-Haul themselves has banned towing with Ford Explorers since late 2003, it's in the article you didn't read.

Reply to
Siskuwihane

Siskuwihane said in rec.autos.driving:

The article is 13 pages long, so yeah, I did skim parts of it. Sue me. :)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

U Haul trucks are literally an accident waiting to happen. There have been numerous stories on this over the years and yet they are still in business and their record barely improves.

I would not rent, or let a friend rent a U Haul truck.

James

Reply to
James

Would it not be up to the renter to complain about the condition of the rented unit?

Let's say that on Thursday night, you always go to Ali's Pizzeria.... let's say that the pizza is always shitty.... let's say you fail to mention it (too many Ceasars waitng for the shitty pizza)... is the pizza going to get any better?

It is up to the consumer to say "this doesn't feel right". If the consumer isn't smart enough to realize that "this doesn't feel right"... what will happen?

Driving and towing are not things that we are born with.. these are both learned and require the common sense to know that we have stuff to learn....

I, for one, am tired of picking up after people that either can't or refuse to use common sense....

Like trimming posts....

Reply to
Jim Warman

IF she had been going the speed limit that is plastered all over U Haul trailers and on the highway she would not have had that problem. I'll bet she was hitting 70mph plus on the downhill.

Reply to
John S.

Problem is, most consumers aren't savvy enough to evaluate a trailer. And the truth is, even a shitty U-Haul trailer can be safely towed under most conditions by a proper tow vehicle at speeds well over 45 MPH.

The easy solution is to just not rent from U-Haul, but I'm not aware of a rental company that I've had any better experiences with.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Driving and Pizza are hardly the same.

For one thing, if you eat a bad pizza, it will affect the pizza eater.

Have your brakes fail on your U haul truck on the highway and you could not only injure yourself but others.

And most people don't have the training to inspect little things like brakes, especially when a good inspection requires taking the wheels off.

There is a principle in commercial law thats states that if you offer goods or services they must be fit for the use intended.

If U Hauls rented in Ontario had to be licenced, and safetied/ certified in Ontario, they would be out of business. But since their head office is in Arizona, their plates come from there too.

As to trimming, Google shows it already trimmed, my error. But feel free to heap on gratuitous insults if it makes you feel better.

James

Reply to
James

I don't think many have actually read the Times article. Customers placed their trust in the company, and some were provided defective equipment. Some got trailers dangerously oversized for their tow vehicles. U-Haul ignored many of their own guidelines, and those of the auto manufacturers.

An accompanying article mentioned U-Haul's boss demonstrating how effortless it was to tow one of his trailers at 80mph. I'm sure *his* trailer was recently inspected and had working brakes.

Reply to
Beryl

I fail to see any gratuitous insults... however, if one is to operate any piece of equipment, it would be wise to become familiar with the equipment... Failing to do so is an agregious error.

I, for one, find it appalling that I am forced to share the roads with people that can't even take the time to walk around their cars looking for low tires and burned out lamps - something we see every freaking day!!!! It is up to each motorist to make sure they are prepared for what they are doing or what they may encounter... and this includes the very simple task of making sure the vehicle is roadworthy to begin with.

But this cavalier atitude will go on and on.... supported by those that try to pass on the responsibilty of their oversight, their omissions, their failure to do anything to familiarize themselves with the very complex task of safely operating a motor vehicle.... whether a trailer is involved or not.

I meet people very day that have a drivers licence... as I'd said... this little piece of plastic ALLOWS them to drive.... it doesn't mean that it is wise for them to drive.... and the world might be a better, safer place if they didn't....

The public needs to wake up... driving is a very dangerous recreation... We shouldn't be "practicing" in general traffic...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Don't you know, we are all supposed to drive slow and obey countless other restrictions to compensate for these idiots and because everyone has to be treated like an idiot and protected from himself.

Reply to
Brent P