UK Explorer overdrive warning light flashing

Hi, Ford UK dont want to know Explorers. So I'll ask the people who are sure to know.

97 Explorer 4liter. 125,000 miles. Just ordered a prelube kit from California. Stop it from self destruct. Usually over here about 80-100,000 timing chain destroys hydraulic adjuster, metal bits kill the oil pump and the engine. Engines are difficult to find and pricey in UK.

Overdrive warning light has started flashing today. Wont hold 5th gear? No noises. No overheating . No shortage of any fluids or oils. Any ideas out there where to look first.

thanks Ian Lowrie

Reply to
Ian Lowrie

On the 97 SOHC, the PCV valve is located dead center, behind the IAC valve. It's a bear to get at. The top of the PCV valve has a "T" fitting that has tubing to each side of the engine. The bottom fits in a piece of tubing. I recommend that you use a small clamp to hold the PCV valve onto the tubing. I recently replaced the IAC valve due to rough idle and stalling. Advance had the valve but it was not the correct part. If after cleaning the valve, if you still have problems, take the part with you to match up the replacement. When looking from the front of the vehicle, my Explorer had the electrical connector pointed toward the driver side, not up. I had to go to NAPA to get the correct part. You could probably get the part number from the NAPA site and then go to Advance. I priced the valva at Autozone and they were much higher than either NAPA or Advance.

Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
Ron